Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the gear oil in 2002 kx 65. Used hp 80w85w. It is shifting real hard now? Did I not put enough in? It looks pretty full in the window when cold?

·
Registered
561 Posts
With the bike on level ground the oil should be about half of the site glass. To get it right all the time purchase a BillyWho oil bottle and it's marked on both sides of the bottle in liter's and CC's and you can always make sure it's right. But before I rode it again I would ensure the oil level is correct or the gears will burn up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil is to the top of the glass. Rode it real quick and the gears are sticky and shifting hard. Should I try a diffrent oil? Is there to much oil in there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
On second thoughts, I would get rid of it real quick considering your clutch runs in it as well.
Run some auto trans in it, drain after 10 mins and refill again halfway up the window when the bike is perfectly upright.

·
Registered
170 Posts
the oil is only in the clutch.the engine is lubed with the oil in the gas.ive always used kawachem 10w40 in all my bikes.2003kx65,2003rm85,1997kx250,and 2006kx450.excellent oil made specific for wet clutches.many people like to use automotive oils(big debate)(can of worms)but i like motorcycle specific oil.80w85w is to thick for clutch use.as far as filling put some in and then pump the kickstarter by hand a couple time then let it settle.the oil should be halfway on siteglass.
just my 2cents.

·
Registered
81 Posts
corvettesR1 said:
I use mobil 1 in 10/30 and the tranny on my 03 kx100 and fill between the lines on the sight glass... shifts smooth as butter
You use a Mobil 1 10/30 in your tranny. I want to change to a good synthetic and if im understanding you right you put motor oil disigned for a auto in your 2 stroke bike? Can you let me know if im right cuz i might try it. My sons kx 65 dosent shift very smooth at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes my bike is a new 04 got it left over ..I used Mobil 1 synthetic every time so far .. The Owners manual suggests a range of oils between 10-30, 10-40, 10-50 and 20-50..... 10-30 is used when the weather temps are 14 degrees to 86 degrees. That covers MY Winter conditions to hot Summer really but in hot summer I could go to a 10-40 which will increase the protection from14 degrees to 104 degrees F. I would like to say that my kx100 has one of the nicest shifting transmissions I have ever felt on any bike .That was one thing I noted about the bike right away ..I change My oil about every 3rd ride. The bike only takes about 1/2 quart so its not alot of money .Hope this helps you out with your sons kx65.One other thing I would like to add,each container of oil has API ratings on the can .Im sure you have seem them . You should make sure you see one of these ratings SE,SF,SJ,SH or SJ with JASO MA on the can .Hope this helps..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts