Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally Friday and a nice beautiful day it is here in NY! Once I get home from work I'm gonna start my maintainance of my bike. Oil change, oil filter change, air filter change. But I come to this question. How often should you change your fuel filter? I have close to 7000 miles... should I wait for the bike to start showing problems or is there a specific time interval for this? What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Believe the norm would be every two oil changes but for a couple of bucks why not change it every oil change. This way you aren't mixing new clean oil with old dirty oil.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I Know ... The Weather actually turned nice enough to actually consider pulling my bike out of winter storage this weekend. I don't know about long Island, but here in Upstate NY they're talking about a 70 degree weekend.

Now that I'm done 'jacking the thread.....

Does the Ninja 500R even come with a fuel filter, or do you have to put on an aftermarket one?

Just asking 'cause I never saw one on the bike and was planning on getting one for safety sake.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rlovrin1 said:
I Know ... The Weather actually turned nice enough to actually consider pulling my bike out of winter storage this weekend. I don't know about long Island, but here in Upstate NY they're talking about a 70 degree weekend.

Now that I'm done 'jacking the thread.....

Does the Ninja 500R even come with a fuel filter, or do you have to put on an aftermarket one?

Just asking 'cause I never saw one on the bike and was planning on getting one for safety sake.
Wow, I just assumed that it did have one. If someone can intervene, please let us know.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder why it dosen't come with one. Would it be a good thing to have one, or does it even matter on our particular bike?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Of course there is a filter on the 500, just keep looking it's there.
there is NO filter between the gas I put into the tank and the carbs. I've taken it all apart more than enough times to know there is no filter.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Oops my bobo :oops: :? :oops:

Thought we were talking oil filter.

There is no traditional fuel filter as stated above on the Ninja. There is a charcoal canister and a seperator though that accomplish much the same thing. Adding a fuel filter would not be a bad idea if you don't trust your source of fuel.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Oops my bobo :oops: :? :oops:

Thought we were talking oil filter.

There is no traditional fuel filter as stated above on the Ninja. There is a charcoal canister and a seperator though that accomplish much the same thing. Adding a fuel filter would not be a bad idea if you don't trust your source of fuel.
haha, I could see how you'd expect an oil filter to be there from the factory. I wish a fuel filter was too, but I'm kinda too lazy to ever install one. I just want my bike to run correctly atm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, well I trust the fuel more than the air that goes in with it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL FILTER

The oil filter should be changed more often than the oil! EVERYBODY GETS THIS CONFUSED! The filter removes the junk, dust, any polutants, to protect the oil. IF you were using CRUDE oil then you would need to change both, but with todays oils just change the filter and every other time change the oil too. Yu have a computer check it out with the big boys...if you have some reason to doubt be...

·
Registered
78 Posts
i thought there was some form of filter built into the fuel tap in the bottom of your tank?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
it's more like a filter screen

You have a filter screen in the bottom of your tank but it is not a true filter or you would have to disassemble the tank everytime you needed to clean it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I need your advice.

I am a brand new rider with only about a week and a half of riding experience under my belt. I bought a starter bike, 2002 Ninja 250r, and the dealership told me that they had inspected it and everything was good to go. 2 days ago I encountered a problem with the coolant leaking out from under the bike. The dealer stated that it was probably low and the back pressure was what make the rest spew out from under the bike. I took the entire front end apart to refill the coolant take. Did that ran fine. Now today I was on my way to work and the bike stalled out in an intersection. I walked it down the street to the gas station and noticed that I couldn't see any oil in the oil tank. I put some oil in, 10w40, topped the gas off and that's when the real problems started happening. I get the bike started and it backfires A LOT. It's almost like it isn't getting enough gas to get up to speed, so at first I thought it was a fuel filter, but as I have read above these bikes do not have fuel filters, so I just don't know. It slows then it tires to take off, then it slows, and this just keeps going. Almost jerked me off the bike. I eventually got it home and it's sitting but I have no ideas what could be wrong with it. It's not under warranty and I have no knowledge about how to provide maintenance to the engine. I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong because it was running fine yesterday, and the week before the coolant went. Any advice from people who know more than I do would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts