Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 8 years old and it was Christmas of 1981. I got a Thunderbird Mini bike with a Tecumseh 4 hp pull start motor. Mine was like this but slightly different seat and tank and it was white no shocks either. I could ride wheelies and jump that thing really good. I also found the lever on the carb for the throttle plate I could hold it open and that little booger would get close to 50 mph. I am surprised the engine never blew on me.

·
Who's that guy?
88 Posts
MY first is my current, 84 KZ550 Spectre (LTD). got it 2 months before I turned 21...Im 21 now. haha. just got the carbs and brakes sorted out and rode it a bit for the end of the season. in current process of giving it new parts and paint! this year should be great!

she's in the front. My friends yamaha SR500 '78 I think, is behind. I FIRST rode when I was 16 or 17 on HIS honda 50R single cyl. 3 speed! twas a wild little thing, snag 2nd quick and you see clouds! he got me hooked!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first bike was a 1971 Suzuki trailhopper 50 for my 12th birthday back in 1983.I would love to find another one just to have.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
My first bike was a 1974 Suzuki GT380, it was a 2 stroke 3 cylinder, and to a 17 year old kid it seemed really quick. I remember I was proud because I beat a Honda 550 4 cylinder in a stoplight race with it.
I always had to carry spare plugs because it fouled out NGKs all the time.
I sold it to my brother and he rode it for quite a while, the last i saw of it it layed in my parents back yard until my Dad got sick of it and pitched it.

Greg58

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 1973 Suzuki GT 380. I thought it was very quick. It was quicker than the Honda CB 400 Hawk I had but the CB650 Custom was much faster. Those 2 strokes will tach out much quicker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got my mini bike at about 10. Got clocked going 47 mph. Life was good til motor blew. Dad then found out I was by passed gov and was running 10 weight oil. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was 29, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic FI. Oh yeah, I will be 31 in June still have it and don't plan on trading it anytime in the near future!

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
First street bike was a 1966 Suzuki SS250 I bought in 1973. I was 15. 2-stroke w/oil injection, 6-speed. Oil injection was not ready for prime time in the 60's. Seals, leaks, and fouled plugs were a pain, but it ran like a scalded ape in-between rebuilds. When I sold it a few years later I wasn't smart enough to do research. After a bit I looked up the value and found that it was worth 10x what I sold it for since there were only a few of the SS. Before that I had a 50's Cushman scooter (the big chunk of sheet metal w/floorboards) I used to ride around our property. Since it wasn't made for off road use it didn't live long enough to get tags - I learned how to weld it back together.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
First bike I've owned is my current one, a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 550. First bike I rode was my friend's little Honda Minibike when I was 10 years old. Quite a few years later, after taking the BRC, I rode my sister's KZ200 for a couple of seasons, then bought the Honda.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
First one I owned was a 2003 KLR 250 back in 2007 and 26 years old.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
12 years old used Honda 50 Cub sister in-law floated me a loan for the money. Paid her back delivering papers..

·
Registered
401 Posts
16 years old (parents made me wait until I was 16) - 1979 Yamaha DT 250. It was the an early year mono shock bike with an oil injected two stroke. Fun 1st bike.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
12 years old and the bike was a Sears mini bike with a 3 1/2 hp Tecumseh motor. Pappie

·
Patriot Guard Rider - PA
326 Posts
10 years old when I got the lime green (harbinger of things to come....) Honda QA50 scoot. Could possibly outrun a 20 year old cat in the middle of a major heart attack....

:biggrin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
52, and my current Vulcan 500. Wanted once since I was 16, but at first my parents wouldn't let me, then kids, family, responsibilities, etc. Then a couple of years ago I found a picture of my dad in his Navy uniform next to his old motorcycle -if I only knew back then!!!!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts