Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't answer that lol. I read somewhere on here about noise coming from the front end of Vulcan when you would hit a bump on the road. The conclusion apparently was that the clunk noise was coming from inside the headlight bucket from lose wires/connectors etc. So, seeing it is a mild day today here in the great white north, I decided to go out to my unheated garage, and take a look. Sure enough, there were some plastic connectors that would make the clunk noise if I tapped them against the inside of the bucket. To remedy the situation, I taped some foam around the plastic connectors as well as put some tiewraps around any loose wires I saw.
Here's my stupid problem. I am trying to reassemble the the light using the two philip screws that take that allows to take the seal beam out, but for the life of me, they won't thread back in now !!!. I've tried various angles and I can see the hole of the rim and line it up with the hole of the bucket, but still, it won't thread ! I pull the seal beam out and tried to thread it, and it threaded fine, it's only when I line both holes up that it doesn't thread. How stupid can I be to not be able to get this thing back together with only two screws to deal with ?? (again don't answer that, I'm beating myself up enough over this lol)
HELP !

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Had the same problem. Different bike though. The sealed beam light and connector don't have much clearance in the bucket. try moving the wiring to the side then line up the screws.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had trouble with my Nomad last week when I put a diffren't bulb in it. I sprayed them with W/d and moved them around and they finally went in.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Don't answer that lol. I read somewhere on here about noise coming from the front end of Vulcan when you would hit a bump on the road. The conclusion apparently was that the clunk noise was coming from inside the headlight bucket from lose wires/connectors etc. So, seeing it is a mild day today here in the great white north, I decided to go out to my unheated garage, and take a look. Sure enough, there were some plastic connectors that would make the clunk noise if I tapped them against the inside of the bucket. To remedy the situation, I taped some foam around the plastic connectors as well as put some tiewraps around any loose wires I saw.
Here's my stupid problem. I am trying to reassemble the the light using the two philip screws that take that allows to take the seal beam out, but for the life of me, they won't thread back in now !!!. I've tried various angles and I can see the hole of the rim and line it up with the hole of the bucket, but still, it won't thread ! I pull the seal beam out and tried to thread it, and it threaded fine, it's only when I line both holes up that it doesn't thread. How stupid can I be to not be able to get this thing back together with only two screws to deal with ?? (again don't answer that, I'm beating myself up enough over this lol)
HELP !
Made me crazy, but finally came together.

D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Dudester, why are ya messing around with your bike at this time of year your fingers are probably numb from the cold as well as the metal on the bezel you should be in by the fire drinking some fine Canadian pain killer or out watching a curling match. :)

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dudester, why are ya messing around with your bike at this time of year your fingers are probably numb from the cold as well as the metal on the bezel you should be in by the fire drinking some fine Canadian pain killer or out watching a curling match. :)
LOL, well it's not THAT cold here, at least not the last few days. I ended up using two brass screws I found in my misc screw jar, that bit well as I screwed everything back together. I'll keep the oem screws just in case something down the road happens. So for now, everything is good. Seeing it's New Years Eve, I think I will start sampling some home made wine I made a few months ago. A nice way to end the year I think. Cheers to all of you and Happy New Year ! ;)

As the sun rises on the morning of the ride

My blood begins to pump with the anticipation

Of my steel steed cruising down the highway

To an unknown and undiscovered destination.

Riding is a feeling, a sensation, an emotion

That only the rider will ever, ever know

You cannot share this with anyone else

You can only experience it for yourself.

No doctor's prescription, no magic elixir

Can do for you what your bike can do

To lift your spirits or free your mind

And open your soul to emotional freedom.

With gas in your tank and air in your tires

No need to snort a line or smoke a joint

To reach that unattainable high which is

Free is the Ride, in the saddle of your bike.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Dudester-
Had a like problem on another bike some time back. It could be the springy quality of the lamp wire itself. It probably has a bit of a cast or curl from the factory install. make sure you're not somehow bending it the other way. Do your best to get the wire laid in nice and pretty, and then work the lamp into place. you may need to actually spin the lamp a bit to work the harness in. You might have to use something skinny like an icepick or a small screwdriver to line up the second hole while you start on the first. Hold the beam on plane. Once you get a few threads in, go to the next screw and work it down slowly.

Magnetic driver or extra pair of hands make it a bit less frustratin'.

good luck & have a fine new year...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am trying to reassemble the the light using the two philip screws that take that allows to take the seal beam out, but for the life of me, they won't thread back in now !!!. HELP !
I have a solution for you...

Take it back apart and you'll see those two metal tabs to which the screws go through. The tabs have the threads in them. The threads are cut into a thicker part of the tab where they appearently punched the hole making a ridge there and thus a thicker part for a few more threads.

Take a pair of vice grips and squeeze the threaded hole essentially crushing the threads a bit and there by closing the hole a bit. You'll probably have to do it a couple of time, resetting the vice grips each time so you get a good squeeze on the tab. Now, it's EXTREMELY important to not do any twisting or anything so the integrity and alignment of the tab remains. After you've crushed that down a bit, then take the screw and CAREFULLY run it into the now smaller hole. Using some lubricant will help. This will kind-of re-cut the threads. If you squeeze it too much, you might need to use a tap for it (although I don't know the thread size and pitch). But the screw should work.

The screw is stainless steel and the tab is not; being stainless it's harder so it shouldn't bugger up the threads on the screw itself if you're careful.

I did the same thing on my Nomad 1600 and it's worked fine since. Just resist the urge to overtighten the screw once replaced with the headlight assembly installed.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts