Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My son just bought an '07 900 Classic, wants apes like on my Road Star. He's short on cash just now with the bike purchase. Will 10" Mini apes work on the 900 with the stock cables and brake hose? Did a search on the forum and after a half an hour of searching couldn't come up with anything definitive. What worked for you?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
I'm looking for the same answer. I did put 4-1/2" risers with a 1-1/2" pull back on mine and the cables still work fine. The stock bars I believe are 7" drop so using the stock risers I believe the 10" mini apes would work but I am not positive at all. I am thinking of trying the 10" Mini Apes with my current risers and hope that will work with stock cables too but it may be a lttle stretch. I still have not re-routed my cables to the rear so I still have some play.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Hi,

My son just bought an '07 900 Classic, wants apes like on my Road Star. He's short on cash just now with the bike purchase. Will 10" Mini apes work on the 900 with the stock cables and brake hose? Did a search on the forum and after a half an hour of searching couldn't come up with anything definitive. What worked for you?

Thanks,
Ed
--would these be too tall?---

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Roadstar, he would probably get away with stock as long as he kept it to the mini apes and rerouted the cables and hoses to the rear of the triple tree rather than keep them running along the front. He may notice the brake hose and clutch cable is a little tight. It would probably work for a bit if it is but he doesn't want to leave it to long. Replace both as soon as he can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking for the same answer. I did put 4-1/2" risers with a 1-1/2" pull back on mine and the cables still work fine. The stock bars I believe are 7" drop so using the stock risers I believe the 10" mini apes would work but I am not positive at all. I am thinking of trying the 10" Mini Apes with my current risers and hope that will work with stock cables too but it may be a lttle stretch. I still have not re-routed my cables to the rear so I still have some play.
I'm looking at a set of J&P bars (PN 5000065). The stock bars show a 7" rise with a 14" pullback and a 34" width (courtesy of sideroadcycles.com). J&P's bars show an 8 1/2" rise with only a 7 1/2" pullback and a 34 1/2" width. I think they will work. My son is not as interested in higher bars as he is in some with less pullback. He'll be home with the bike on Spring Break and we'll give it a shot. Will post results when we know.

Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roadstar, he would probably get away with stock as long as he kept it to the mini apes and rerouted the cables and hoses to the rear of the triple tree rather than keep them running along the front. He may notice the brake hose and clutch cable is a little tight. It would probably work for a bit if it is but he doesn't want to leave it to long. Reaplce both as soon as he can.
Thanks,

Ed

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
When I added risers to my Classic ( 2" up, 1" back) the cables barely worked if I rerouted behind the triple tree. I think apes might be too much based on my experience.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They don't
I base my reply on my 900 that I originally put 9in mini apes on. At that time I rerouted everything and had absolutely no problem with any cable or hose. The only thing that bothered me is that I still felt a pull on my shoulders. I then installed 5in risers on the bike and still had no problems other than a slightly tight clutch cable ( which I used for another year before it finally broke ) I also replaced my brake hose with a longer one at that time because I felt it would be unsafe to stretch it. As I say though, the brake hose and clutch cable were fine before I put the risers on.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
yes, 10" will work with stock cables, re-routed though. I have 10" mini's on mine, with 5" risers, thats equivalant to a 13" bar. throttle cables are fine, brake line is fine, and in this pic, the clutch is border line. I replaced that with a 4"over just because I didnt want to risk it breaking while a few hunred miles from home. but I did run it like that for a few weeks.
if they fit this good with 10" AND risers, just a 10" bar will work fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, 10" will work with stock cables, re-routed though. I have 10" mini's on mine, with 5" risers, thats equivalant to a 13" bar. throttle cables are fine, brake line is fine, and in this pic, the clutch is border line. I replaced that with a 4"over just because I didnt want to risk it breaking while a few hunred miles from home. but I did run it like that for a few weeks.
if they fit this good with 10" AND risers, just a 10" bar will work fine.

Sweet! Thanks and Ride Safe.

Ed

·
Registered
362 Posts
10" Ape's will work,if they are not as wide as the stock bars. Most Ape bars are not as wide as the Kaw stock bars. This lets you gain some room,as the cables,and brake hose do not have to extend so far to the end of the bars. You might have to crack the banjo fitting at the master cylinder just enough to reposition the hose,you will not loose any fluid,or get air in the system,if you just crack it a little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.