Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 900 classic and i was hoping somebody could give me some info on how to adjust the rear shock. I am able to access it, but cant figure out how to twist the adjusting nut. Does it require a special tool? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Your manual that came with the bike explains how to adjust the shock. There is a tool in your tool bag that you need to use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man do i feel dumb!

Manual, I dont need no stinkin manual!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
If I remember correctly it is set for a 150 lb rider, setting 2. Max setting is 7, I am about 250 and have mine set at 6. Moving the coolant tank out of the way is a pain.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
I tried to adjust mine awhile back but gave up. If you go too far and want to dial back, do you just crank it backwards or go all the way around until you return to the first setting?
Asking because the adjuster is "stepped" and I can see how it would be easy to twist it in the direction where you were stepping down, but going up looks like it'd be a hassle unless you can take tension off the shock.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I asked this a while ago. I haven't tried it yet, but a forum member PM'd be these directions....

The instructions are in the manual and pretty basic except for the bit that explains the need for BOTH of the cresent-shaped spanners in the tool kit. You'll see once you start moving the lockout ring that you need to alternate using both of them in different positions on the ring to move it more than one click, or to move it back down if you need to.

Also, when you take out the coolant resevoir, note the position of the vent tube for reassembly.

Bend up a coat hanger so you can hang the resevoir upright and out of the way while you make the adjustment. If you don't, the tank is right in the way!

Try adjusting up to position 5 at first, and ride it a bit. I weigh 230, and 5 was a bit soft, but 6 was to much. The thing handles way more predictably now as you might imagine.

good luck.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I haven't adjusted mine yet because I read the instructions and decided to wait until I have more time. It's too bad the brain trust at Kawasaki couldn't come up with a design that allowed for adjusting it without disassembling the bike. I figure I'll have to take the parts off, dial the shock to where I think it should be, re-assemble, ride it, and if needed do it all over again. What do the people who sometimes ride two-up do? Do you have to go through the process every time the wife wants to come along?

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I had the same problem when some other nice forum members pointed out that you need BOTH of the crescent shaped tools to make the adjustment from preset to preset. If it seems like there's no way the tool will lever the preset in the direction you want to go, try the other tool in a different slot on the adjuster. It does work, it's just a bit counter-intuitive, and the manual doesn't quite get you there either.

Also: note the position of the coolant vent tube before you take it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts