Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to change the coolant on my 2000 800 classic? What coolant should I use? How do I drain the old stuff? The owners manual says to take it to the dealer but they are too expensive. I bought this bike used and acording to the service records it has never been changed. Thanks for any help you can offer. Also anyone know where I can get a service manual cheap?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try ebay for the manual. I have to go look at my 800 but you should be able to take the bottom hose off to drain all of the coolant. If woodchuck jumps in he can tell you step by step how to do it i bet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'll be doing the coolant change soon as well.. i'm actually getting my bike out for the first time of the year this weekend.. i think you take a hose off to let it drain and then you have to take the speedometer assembly off the tank to get to the fill-up spot.. it's not that accessible since it's not needed very often at all..

anyways, good luck. i'll post further info if i find it

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Remove hose where it goes into the rightside (clutch) cover. My manual says there is a drain plug on the cover just below the waterpump (Pump is inside the right cover between the clutch and primary drive.) but there isn't one on our 800! Take hose off, it works great.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Remove hose where it goes into the rightside (clutch) cover. My manual says there is a drain plug on the cover just below the waterpump (Pump is inside the right cover between the clutch and primary drive.) but there isn't one on our 800! Take hose off, it works great.
There's a drain plug (10mm bolt) on the lower motor case right below the right side foot peg about a 1/2" back from the oil plug and on the right side of the cover (almost on the edge of the cover) take it out and let er drain. You'll want to stand the bike upright towards the end of the draining cycle so t you'll get more of it to drain out of the motor.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change the coolant on my 2000 800 classic? What coolant should I use? How do I drain the old stuff? The owners manual says to take it to the dealer but they are too expensive. I bought this bike used and acording to the service records it has never been changed. Thanks for any help you can offer. Also anyone know where I can get a service manual cheap?
Before removing the drain plug ( plug location mentioned in the last post} remove the nacell off the top of the tank (your speedo housing) and pop the radiator cap (you'll see it once to thake the nacell off) and then remove the lower drain plug.While your at it you might as well take a look at the over flow bottle and hose which is located below the right side cover between the frame and motor(you'll see the fill cap/lid) you'll want to make sure it has enough fluid in it to come up into the hose to where you see it in the hose(you might want to use a flashlight to se what your doing better as it's a pretty cramped area to work in. As far as type of coolant, just make sure it compatable with alum. radiators ( I just use kawi brand myself)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do you need to remove the whole gas tank or just the speeo unit? If I need to remove the tank I may as well change the plugs while I'm at it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
So do you need to remove the whole gas tank or just the speeo unit? If I need to remove the tank I may as well change the plugs while I'm at it.
No, you don't need to remove the tank nor do you to remove the plugs , there's a special socket/wrench in the onboard tool pouch specificly for plug removal. You will have to remove the seat to get at the rear plug though.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
thanks for the info. My 800 is born in 2001, and probably never had the coolant flushed. The cooling is fine, and the level looks fine. SHould I flush it?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The coolant in the over flow tank. Does it come out too through the drain plug, or does it stay in the tank? If it does not come out, do I have to drain it somehow?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i can change the plugs without removing the tank? The owners manual shows to remove the tank first. thanks for the info, I think I'm going to change the plugs and coolant tomorrow. I too was wondering about draining the coolant tank. Will that just drain itself when you remove the drain plug?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Will that just drain itself when you remove the drain plug?
No it won't ,if your wanting to drain it ,you'll either have to take it off the bike (good luck with that) or do what I've done and get a big syringe from the local farm supply along with a 1ft. piece of clear tubing and suck it out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No it won't ,if your wanting to drain it ,you'll either have to take it off the bike (good luck with that) or do what I've done and get a big syringe from the local farm supply along with a 1ft. piece of clear tubing and suck it out.
I see. I think that syringe is a lot easier than taking the tank out. Taking the tank out sounded too difficult, and I got discouraged there. No more. Thanks to all the info here, I think I can do it. THanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see. I think that syringe is a lot easier than taking the tank out. Taking the tank out sounded too difficult, and I got discouraged there. No more. Thanks to all the info here, I think I can do it. THanks!
I just use a spay bottle sprayer..just put the straw in the res.and start spraying coolant into an empty container... my question: I keep it 1/2 way and it hasn't really been a problem-->but how much coolant should I have in the clear hose after filling?

·
Sick Puppy
3,196 Posts
Go to your local dollar store and get a turkey baster.

Oops, just noticed I helped resurrect an old post. Oh well, it's only 2 1/2 years old. :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts