Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi went 2 put my flywheel on tonight but could only get the nut on a couple of threads i took flywheel back off and the threads are a little damaged i just got my crank back from being rebuilt with new conrod etc think it must have been damaged in transit there not 2 bad they dont look cross threaded just a little flattened at parts whats the best way 2 repair this its a 96 kx250

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
The best way is to run a left hand die of the correct size over the threads. You may have a hard time finding the correct die, so you could very carefully use a small three corner file over the flattened areas, depending upon how bad it is of course.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Get a thread chaser, then if that doesn't work, find a die.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys is a thread chaser a thread file and is there anyway to hold the clutch and lock it so i can tighten the nut onto crank would using a air gun do

·
566 Posts
A thread chaser looks very much like a die but it will not cut the metal as much and instead tends to straighten out the threads. BTW this is a very good suggestion, if you can find a left handed thread chaser, they do make them but you may have to buy it through a tool supplier like Snap-On or MAC.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my crank isnt left hand thread its right thanks though any suggestions on how to lock clutch without buying the tool for it money is tight the now the bikes cost me over £600 in the last 2 months

·
566 Posts
my crank isnt left hand thread its right thanks though any suggestions on how to lock clutch without buying the tool for it money is tight the now the bikes cost me over £600 in the last 2 months
I was thinking the right hand side of the bike. Sorry, I see that I missed that you stated the flywheel (left hand) side of the bike.

You could use a top end plug(plastic threaded plug that goes in the spark plug hole), all though I don't like to put too much pressure against the rod bearings. Steahly Offroad sells them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would a air gun do the job dont like the sound of putting pressure on the rod either should i put 2stroke oil in the main bearings before i start it i forgot 2 do it but i need to take head back of anyway would it be ok putting some down the little oil holes on each side of the crank casing that leads to the bearings i want everything to be right thats around 4 months since my bike was last running

·
566 Posts
It won't hurt anything if you want to lube up the main bearings before start up. Not a bad idea actually.

I would be a little cautious using an air gun on bad threads, but that is just me, not to say it won't work.

Steahly sells the top end plugs for the purpose of holding the engine so that you can install and remove their flywheel weights.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill wait and see how i get on with threads and see how easy the nut wil go on because at the moment after a few threads it goes solid and i cant move it at all but engine keeps turning i was managing to hold engine with clutch with my hand but it gets quite sore after a while

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
The Steahly engine lock up tool is the best $6 tool I have ever purchased. Because you are in the UK and trying to do this quick and cheap, you can thread a piece of nylon rope into your spark plug hole and turn the crank until the piston rests against it. It will lock your engine up for you to put the clutch nut on.
Odds are if you use an impact wrench, you will overtighten, the hubs will bind, and your clutch will drag.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im using the air gun on the crankshaft nut thats holds the flywheel on i tightened my clutch on with air gun last time it was fine i just put it on the lowest setting

·
Registered
150 Posts
FYI

they aslo have a thing called a thread file.... I have seen these at most auto stores it looks like a square file and on each end is 4 files ( 8 in total 4 each end) well each file is a certain thread pitch and you just match it to the thread you need and you file the threads on the bolt back to the way they should be .... here is a link to one

KD Tools 2249 - File Thread Restorer SAE 8 Sizes

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can also put the bike in gear and have someone stand on the rear brake while you tighten the flywheel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Look, you should'nt have to force anything, get the right sized die, run it over the threads, you may need a tap as well, you might have damaged the threads on the nut trying to force it.

·
566 Posts
Look, you should'nt have to force anything, get the right sized die, run it over the threads, you may need a tap as well, you might have damaged the threads on the nut trying to force it.
+1 A die or thread chaser and a new nut. Just my .02

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im not forcing it on its to get it tightened and to remove my clutch a bit easier

·
Registered
7 Posts
get sum of the old clutch plates (like the ones lying around your garage) , 4 or 5 should do, and have them welded 2gether and connected to a 6" piece of angle iron. anything strong enough will do. should look kinda frying pan shaped. i did this and i jus slip it over inner hub with "handle" against foot peg. assembly and dissassembly of clutch and flywheel is now a doddle. when clutch plates are welded together fix "handle" to side of plates so it doesn't foul clutch basket during use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts