Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm no good with explaining things but i will give it a shot.

air filter is the following link
AutoZone.com | Smallwhiteconeairfilter-Maynotbelegalforuseonpollutioncontrolledvehicles | Spectre

crank case filter is the following link AutoZone.com | Breather Filter

nevermind the rod sticking out from the throttle body. i first stripped the intake completly off and measured each hole in relationship to each other so i would not have to make the backing plate more then once.

i then took a small scrap of aluminum i had laying around and cut it out to just a shade under the filters bottom diamater. i believe it was 5 3/4 but dont hold me to it. and then i drilled out the alimunim with a 1'4 inch drill bit.

i then measured the relationship of the bolt holes in the throttle body to the intake ports them selves and used a 1 1/2 hole saw to cut them out.

on this part i just guessed on where the sensor should be mounted and drilled a small hole and another larger one close to it so it will mount on the backside. the sensor must be mounted on the top side of the throttle body because the wires wont reach.

remember that rod sticking out in the first picture. well i used all thread 6mm x 1.00 to make a piece for the filter to slide over. also from the hardware store i bought 4 extra bolts so i did not have to use the stock bolts. thread is also 6mm x 1.00. this is the backing plate completely finished.

the filter listed on the autozone site is the same as this one but i had to add a piece of squishy foam sealant the kind used for windows and such. i used 3/8 wide that was sticky on one side. this must be used to seal the filter to the backing plate. secondly the filter does not come with a hole in the center. simply just drill this out to allow your all thread rod to slide through and your acorn nut to bolt it on.

all done

for the crank case breather
1. take the stock breather hose off and trim to mount to one of the two holes no longer used by the intake cover.
2.i just used a piece of metal i had laying around my garage to make a bracket that bolted to the motor and a tab that slid under the hose clamp on the filter to hold everything in place.
3. i used a union for gas line and slid it inside of the filter and clamped it down and the other end i slid into the hose that connects to the crankcase itself.

this may not be the most descriptive thing ever wrote but if you have an questions pm me and i will get back asap.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
WOW!! Great job! So how much did you spend and how much time did it take you? Did I say, great job?

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
What made you decide to use a separate crankcase filter instead of just filtering through the air filter? I used one for a while and the smell from the crankcase was the worst.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would guess i took me around 2 hours to do. cost me 40 bucks at the most. i figured instead of soaking my airfilter with oil i would let a cheaper filter take the hit. besides i think it looks good.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Awsome upgrade Cust900. Toddster, my understanding is you can get away with either aftermarket pipes OR a different air filter system but if you BOTH then the processor is needed.
So If I understand as I followed along, in the first pic the filter "hold down rod" is already installed? I will take a stab and being as you stayed with metric fasteners the hole for the rod is already drilled and tapped as is the side holes? To the 6x100mm spec? Did you by chance put anykind of sealant between the plate and the throttlebody? If the rod does thread into the throttlebody did you leave it installed in there when you bent the rod? I would be scared Id mess the threads up or crack the TB.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hey fellas while looking over the Autozone site at his filter here I also saw the same filter only in red and blue if you wanted to sort of match you bike. Now the breather filter I dont know about the colors so that might not look cool being different colors. Their part numbers are Spectre 8168 (chrome/white) 8166 blue filter 8162 red filter. I think these are the crankcase breathers used. And they come in colors too. :)

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Awsome upgrade Cust900. Toddster, my understanding is you can get away with either aftermarket pipes OR a different air filter system but if you BOTH then the processor is needed.
Actually that is not correct. If you replace pipes you do not normally need a fuel processor as all you are doing is helping the exhaust from the fuel combustion evacuate the engine better. That does nothing with the fuel to air ratio.

Where a fuel processor comes into play is when you add more air. With adding more air you need to add more fuel to prevent a lean condition but, the stock ECU usually cannot compensate for the extreme increase in air flow compared to the stock intake. So basically the fuel processor corrects that issue to prevent a lean condition.

SO The basic rule of thumb is if you are drastically changing the amount of air entering the combustion chamber, you need to add more fuel.

:)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
At the cost of this mod it is only a fe bucks more than replacing the stock air filter. I think the last air filter I bought was just shy of $35.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Very nice, and looks great to boot. :D

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
Nice job buddy . THe write up is good enough to follow ..and that is the point .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey looks awesome!

One question though...did you add a fuel processor to your bike with this?
i already have a fuel processor on my bike and i did adjust it.
So If I understand as I followed along, in the first pic the filter "hold down rod" is already installed? I will take a stab and being as you stayed with metric fasteners the hole for the rod is already drilled and tapped as is the side holes? To the 6x100mm spec? Did you by chance put anykind of sealant between the plate and the throttlebody? If the rod does thread into the throttlebody did you leave it installed in there when you bent the rod? I would be scared Id mess the threads up or crack the TB.
i did not bend the rod in the throttle body. i used a vice to hold down on a nut that i had so it would not mess the threads up.

Hey fellas while looking over the Autozone site at his filter here I also saw the same filter only in red and blue if you wanted to sort of match you bike. Now the breather filter I dont know about the colors so that might not look cool being different colors. Their part numbers are Spectre 8168 (chrome/white) 8166 blue filter 8162 red filter. I think these are the crankcase breathers used. And they come in colors too. :)
both filters come in red white or blue.

Thanks for all the good feedback im glad to share a cool mod with every one

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
forgot to answer djh3 questions fully my bad. all holes where drilled and tapped to be metric. i did not use any kind of sealant between the plate and body. i figured 4 bolts is plenty of juice to keep stray particles from flying in. i must mention though that after i would drill or i cut my holes that i did sand/buff/grind the burrs off so they would not find there way into the intake. just a little reassurance imo

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well happened to be out today so I stopped by Autozone to get an up close look at this filter. My mistake, I thought it was a washable/reusable filter. It is not. But on the other hand at $22 after you do the mod your still saving better than $10 on the filter. For me I think I'm going to see what is available in a simular size in maybe a K&N or something washable. But if you wouldnt have done this I would have never looked into it probably. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for the first rough draft of the idea i did not want to drop the money on a k & n just for the fact i did not know if it could be done of not. now that i know for sure i am going to look into one.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm with ya on that one. I looked. K&N dont have any that have the chrome like you got. You have to buy a kit or something for like $60+. I looked and your air cleaner says its gaureenteed for 100K. So I dont know may be fine.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts