Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got some new bearings to put in a Mule 3000's gearbox, but I'm not sure of the best way to fit them.

They are a very tight fit indeed, and I don't want to just hammer them into a cast aluminium case - I'm really worried about the case cracking around where the bearing goes. I know heating the case should help, but any other recommendations, or someone who's done this before and knows what to do?

Thank you,
James

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi,

I've got some new bearings to put in a Mule 3000's gearbox, but I'm not sure of the best way to fit them.

They are a very tight fit indeed, and I don't want to just hammer them into a cast aluminium case - I'm really worried about the case cracking around where the bearing goes. I know heating the case should help, but any other recommendations, or someone who's done this before and knows what to do?

Thank you,
James
Also put the bearings in your freezer for a few hours before hand,and coat them in a lite oil like 3in1 as well.
Then use a bearing driver.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The advice you got above is good. However, this time of year it will be necessary to get the case in where it is at least 80 degrees F before you attempt to press in the cold bearings. I always use a press and the appropriate bearing driver to be certain that nothing is even off a few thousands of an inch or you will bind the shaft(s) when you reassemble the gearbox.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts