Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an older 1980's kx80. The man did not remember the year, told me early 80's. I need to order a magneto cover and need to know the exact year. I was wondering if there was a way to decipher the serial number? the number on the engine casing is 2J5-001400 Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Information
This information is about USA released Kawasaki dirt bikes. It may not apply to some models made before the early 1980's. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is stamped into the frame's head tube, which is located behind the headlight / front numberplate. The VIN code is 17 digits long. The first digit is the country code, which is J for Japan. The second digit is the company code, which is K for Kawasaki. The third digit is the vehicle type or manufacturing division. I have seen "A" on various KDX and KX models. The fourth through eigth digits show various features and styles of the vehicle. An example is "DXMD1" for the 1991 - 1994 KDX250's. The ninth digit is a VIN accuracy check digit. As stated on the back of some manuals, "This digit in the frame number changes from one machine to another." The tenth digit is the model year. This does not indicate that the bike was manufactured that calendar year, but that model year. To help prevent confusion, the letters I, O, U and Z are not used. For example, is that the letter "I" or the number "1", is that the letter "Z" or the number "2"? Below is a list of letters and numbers, along with the matching year:
A = 1980
B = 1981
C = 1982
D = 1983
E = 1984
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
J = 1988
K = 1989
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007
8 = 2008
9 = 2009
The list then repeats with A = 2010 and so on.
The eleventh digit is the assembly plant. The twelfth through seventeenth digits indicate the sequence of the motorcycle for production as it rolled off the Kawasaki assembly line.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Well, I was going to post the information from my web page on here to help you with the VIN code from the frame's head tube, but I see someone has already posted the info from my site.

That doesn't sound like a Kawasaki engine number. Can you post a picture of the bike?

Is there not a code on the frame??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, it is not a kx80. It's a yamaha. Believed to be a yz80, the serial number on the front fork frame and engine case is: 2J5-001400. I know this is a kawasaki website.But would anyone know how to read yamaha serial numbers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
its a 1978 yz80

Zedder Enterprises

yamaha cross reference is fairly acurate i never feel lik emailing them when i do catch a mistake but yes they are there but are very few and usually just a typ oh
kaw page is kinda lame

+++++++++++++++++++++
ok who can scratch my back?i need some info on a kaw frame
i have a frame stashed on the side someplace "E" tenth letter of the vin jkxxxxxxxxexxxxxxxxxx i will also lacqer thinner the paint off the factory sticker
i didnt copy the number down its a mono shock but has a small feature
two handles on either side of the frame like next to the seat . i have the cdi box and most of the motor mounts its a 250 or bigger . air forks in pefect shape front wheel is weird has an electric spedo hookup on the side instead of a cable , std drum brakes in the front
anny breakdown on the vin number engine displacement ???
i have seen this for suzi's

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts

It may be a KDX250.

Just look on bikepics.com and try to match it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive recently bought a early 80's model kx80 and just wandering if anyone could tell me the year of it.
The engine number is kx080ee028596.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Farmer,
KDX has a website that has a VIN ID code chart (KDXGarage ),
(also above) the VIN code is on the frame's head tube, if you can look for that #.
You can decipher the code with the help of the above post or checking out KDX's website.
Tuck\o/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I cant really get back to my bike until the weekend.
But i really want to get a new set of piston & rings. (it lacks a bit of compression)
Is there much difference between the pistons in the 80's decade.
Can anyone help me out by just telling me the year.
the engine serial number is
kx080ee028596

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I was going to post the information from my web page on here to help you with the VIN code from the frame's head tube, but I see someone has already posted the info from my site.

That doesn't sound like a Kawasaki engine number. Can you post a picture of the bike?

Is there not a code on the frame??
my frame no is kx080d 001963 anyone tell me what year it is please

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I've just bought a Kx80 with a 10 digit vin! How do I work out the age? As the same principles don't apply I can't find anything out ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Help what year is this engine I bought its stamped Kx080weoo4964 please lmk I've been soo confused! Ps I have no frame to chech just bought engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Farmer,
KDX has a website that has a VIN ID code chart (KDXGarage ),
(also above) the VIN code is on the frame's head tube, if you can look for that #.
You can decipher the code with the help of the above post or checking out KDX's website.
Tuck\o/
I still dont understand how to read it mines is kx080we004964 the W is between 98-2000 but idk which one cuz it says kx80 w1-w3 help me please @KDX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts