Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some idea from you. I see dirts and water on the front forks of my 800A after the ride under bad weather. I hope the seal is doing great job, but even small amount of water going in the fork oil cannot be good, I think. What would be the best way to remedy this?
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Seriously, just don't worry about it. They're fine. Or check out the parts diagrams for your bike. There's lots more seals you can worry about. Try starting with the wheel bearing seals. Better yet, relax and have a cold one.
I bet the kawi engineers have put lots of thoughts there. But if adding some guard can extend the service interval from 2 years to 4, it might worth it, I thought...

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
You will be fine, just ride it. If you were to worry about anything I would be concerned about dried bugs that get hard enough to damage the seals. We use to tie handkerchiefs to the forks to protect against the bugs years ago.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will be fine, just ride it. If you were to worry about anything I would be concerned about dried bugs that get hard enough to damage the seals. We use to tie handkerchiefs to the forks to protect against the bugs years ago.
I have thought of a few options. Seaform can is the same dia as the lower fork, so I could cut it and attach. As you said some kind of fabric would work just fine. I just need to find some nice tie material. Maybe some short bunge cords or something...

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
With the newer designs and plastic technology you really don't need to worry much about it. It was back in the 70's that we were doing the tie trick.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I bet the kawi engineers have put lots of thoughts there. But if adding some guard can extend the service interval from 2 years to 4, it might worth it, I thought...
Just upgrade bikes every 23 1/2 months and you won't have to worry about servicing every two years. Problem solved! :biggrin:

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have also been considering fork gaiters for the protection and retro look. For now, I wipe my forks off every couple days. I'm not really concerned about damage to the seals, but the retro look is cool and a little extra protection isn't bad, right?

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts

these work great to keep everything off of the forks unfortunately not running a front fender or front brake kinda makes it real fun to ride in the rain , but my forks and seals suffer not ... lol

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
BMR, were did you get those gaiters and are they ones were you have to remove the forks to put them on?

·
202 Posts
They're from custom chrome or jammer cycle products , yeah you have to remove the forks. They just call them fork boots in the book.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not so aesthetic... But I feel a lot better knowing that my baby is all protected from the dirt. Some velcro, bunge cords, and marin grade fabric. I think it is the same material as the guard chaps.

View attachment 16093

Attachments

·
202 Posts
Wait, what? Are you ****ing serious? Jesus.
yeah i'm serious. machined a bracket to use the front caliper on the rear and re-valved the master cylinder for more pressure , this weekend it'll also be converted to jockey shift will post pics when everything is assembled hope the chromer doesn't have any problems

·
Registered
588 Posts
Okay. Enjoy your rear lockups and terrible stopping distance, I guess. Well, maybe you won't lock up seeing as your deceleration will be so bad, you will still keep all your weight over your rear.

·
202 Posts
lockups aren't a problem (310lb rider) stopping distance doesn't suffer that bad but i guess the 98" thunder manufacturing big bore kit and barnett super clutch and spring are to blame for any decrease , on a side note it is fun to see sportbikers jaws drop on a good hot day when the tire is real sticky and doesn't just smoke when the clutch is dumped it'll wheelie!!!!!!!Also a 170/60/16 rear tire really helps with braking and acceleration , all you have to do is lace the vulcan hub to an american wire 5"wide hoop then notch the shaft housing and weld plate over the notch also gusseted top and bottom of swingarm for stability this mod also worked to put a car tire on the rear of my buddies bike and laced the rear hoop to the front hub and now he runs a 150 up front , he wanted that exile choppers look.

·
Moto Mez
991 Posts
no front brake

no front brake is not that big of a deal. you think it is until you are actually riding it. i have jockey shift, no front brake and i have never had problems stopping. i have had to lock it up once or twice. but me and my friends are always locking are wheels up for fun anyway so it is not that big of deal when i have do it because i light turns red. it doesn't have to be any less safe riding, you just have to drive a little more defensively. how i ride with no front brake if something happens to me a rider with front brake wouldn't be able to avoid something either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts