Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm needing a new front tire on the 2007 Nomad (12,200 miles). In order to save some $$, I plan to remove it myself and carry to shop and have new tire mounted.

Anyone have step by step instructions as to how to properly remove front wheel?

What tools will be needed? Any info greatly appreciated! :-D

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 break the axel loose with the bike one ground in 1st gear.

(you can make the tool with a bolt and 2 nuts jammed tight. These can have 22mm flats or 7/8".) You will need a breaker bar and the socket to fit, and a torque wrench for the install, at 80 ft lbs. Anti seize the threads.

I think you need a rack of socket mounted allens in metric, over just the one 8mm allen which I think with out looking in the book is the axel lock bolt. Anti seize that too, as all other threads.

2 you need a lift of some sort, if it raises the bike level you need to block up the rear wheel, as weight shift is significant.

3 You need to remove both calipers with 12mm socket, and wedge a folded bit of carboard between the pads, on each side. Hang the calipers on cords or hooks, Maybe a fine cord.

4 Un-do the axel and drop the spacer out marking it, with draw the axel and mark the other spacer, then roll the wheel out..

5 roll the wheel bearings feelong for stiff places. If you find any still grabby, chattery, or sandy feeling places get new wheelbearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts