Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious, like oil leaking out of your bike or heavy smoke pouring out of the pipes, what are some of the other indicators that your bike isn't running right? I've done some mods (BAK, PCIII) and the bike runs good, but just "feels" wrong. Little clattering noises at times, things like that. I know the 1600 Classic's are noisy to begin with, but it seems more noisy to me. Other than inspecting the plugs for fouling, what else can be checked to make sure things are how they should be. I know I can take it to a dealer and have it valves checked and things like that. I'm looking for things I can do at home. Compression is easy, but I'd think you'd have other problems before that goes bad. Any comments welcome.
Ride safe!!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Adding pseudo-performance parts frequently lead to the very same issue you mention. Do a search and you will quickly see that these modifications come at price. Put the bike back to stock and enjoy how nice it is to ride for a change.

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adding pseudo-performance parts frequently lead to the very same issue you mention. Do a search and you will quickly see that these modifications come at price. Put the bike back to stock and enjoy how nice it is to ride for a change.
that's interesting you call them pseudo-performance. I do admit that the parts I added have increased the performance of the bike, at least from the perception of my uneducated and easily duped mind. And by performance I mean quicker throttle response and pickup, better cruising, no lugging up hills (even in proper gears), gas mileage is still good. So I'm happy. I was just looking for advice on how to check things out. I can't believe a entire cottage industry arose out of selling non-performance performance parts to thousands of bikers.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
that's interesting you call them pseudo-performance. I do admit that the parts I added have increased the performance of the bike, at least from the perception of my uneducated and easily duped mind. And by performance I mean quicker throttle response and pickup, better cruising, no lugging up hills (even in proper gears), gas mileage is still good. So I'm happy. I was just looking for advice on how to check things out. I can't believe a entire cottage industry arose out of selling non-performance performance parts to thousands of bikers.
If you've been around here a while you will understand that Deep frequently rags on others' opinions and ideas if they are not aligned with his own. And I realize he is not alone in this either, but it seems to be his way. Don't take it personal man. As far as your question, have you changed the oil viscosity and or type that you have been running? Have you searched the TNTC (too numerous to count) oil threads? Some have reported quieting their machines with the right oil. Ride safe...

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks 2thdr. No, I haven't changed the oil. I've been looking at going synthetic but I change it so often it's expensive. A co-worker is an AMSOIL dealer (which apparently isn't too hard to be lol) but he gets a nice discount on oil so I think I might switch to that. Thanks for the input. And I'm not taking it personally - life's too short for that. ;-)

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
If you're a frequent changer of your oil, you might get less noise with a synthetic, but not that likely if you've been using a good MC specific dino oil. I think folks that don't change their oil very often AND use dino oil can suffer viscosity breakdown. I've been happy with Mobil 1 10W-40, but like you say, it gets expensive to change very frequently.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
If Rich Lockyer ever comes back to the forum, he would be a good one to talk to. I think he has your same exact bike.

Steve

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe it's all in your head? I have a test run for my bike and cars; there's a long block wall that runs behind a local strip mall. Ride next to it on a Sunday morning (hope your pipes aren't too loud) but the block wall will bounce sounds back to you. Get another opinion; get a buddy ride it. He'll not have a pre-existing mindset for noise. This is all what I do, anyway.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Many problems and lots of oil questions already have been dealt with extensively on this forum - suggest doing a few searches, for example about oil using member name RichLockyer, rather than us trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. 8)

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I cant remember for sure, but the '05 1600 Classic has hydrolic lifters, right? If so, it could be that is what you're hearing. I just went to my kawi mechanic to have them listen to my bike again, 7 months and 12k miles after purchasing the bike and having em listen to the same thing the first time, to make sure the chattering/clicking noise was normal. They reconfirmed for me that I was simply hearing the hydrolic lifters. They said the more miles you put on the bike, the more noticable it will get, but that its normal and nothing to be concerned about. Hopefully they know what their talking about.. :lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can tell you a story about my bike. I really dont know how it relates to yours since mine is a 900. After I put intake exhaust and pcIII on my bike I selected the map that I thought best suited my bike. It ran well ,no misses or bogs. So I thought everthing was cool. After about 1500 miles something just didnt seem right. Gas milage dropped off,power dropped off,engine was a little noisy,and had strange vibrations that it used to not have. But it ran fine. I knew something wasnt right so I took the plugs out and they looked fine but I went ahead and put knew ones in.I decided to change the oil while I was at it. Low and behold my bike calls for 3.2 quarts,I removed about 4.5. I immediatly decided I was putting to much fuel in so I changed my map to a more conservative map. Bike ran very well. Vibrations and noise went away. After about 2500 miles same thing started to occur.I decided to change the oil and check the plugs. Plugs looked like new so I thought the map has got to be close. Drained the oil, sure enough out comes about four quarts. So I took my bike and had it dyno tuned. No more problems. What I find strange is the baseline showed the air fuel ratio very rich, parts of the curve were in the high eleven to one range,but the bike ran well and had no soot on plugs. No indication it was that rich other than filling the crankcase up with fuel after a couple thousand miles. So if you are using a generic map your problems could be as simple as you are contaminating your oil with unburned fuel. I would agree with getting an oil analisis. makes sense to me .

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vn900, Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I am thinking of getting it Dyno'd because the way I look at it, if I spent money to get better performance (perceived or realized) I might as well get the most I can - and that requires a Dyno in my opinion. I just have to save up the money. lol.

I think GreenDragon is right too about the hydraulic lifters. It is probably those that I hear.

And that road test Nomad suggested sounds like a good idea. I know of a church that has a high wall that I could probably run by around 1000 on Sunday morning. lol. NOT. I will try it out though. I would love to have another 1600 rider take mine out for a ride to see how it handles/sounds and compare it.

Any takers??

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many problems and lots of oil questions already have been dealt with extensively on this forum - suggest doing a few searches, for example about oil using member name RichLockyer, rather than us trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. 8)
I did searches like you suggested. Thanks. I really don't think it is an oil issue. But it was a good refresher anyway.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, does it burn when you use the bathroom? I've found that to be a sure fire sign that something is wrong.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
I did searches like you suggested. Thanks. I really don't think it is an oil issue. But it was a good refresher anyway.
Let us know what you find out Mark. Good luck!

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I just run the crap out of it and ue=se the 10w40 kawi.oil that is suggested.i change at 2500 mile both oil and filter.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
put your hand over the exhaust ends (wear gloves if it's hot) check for pressure or suction

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'll take you up on your ride!

vn900, Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I am thinking of getting it Dyno'd because the way I look at it, if I spent money to get better performance (perceived or realized) I might as well get the most I can - and that requires a Dyno in my opinion. I just have to save up the money. lol.

I think GreenDragon is right too about the hydraulic lifters. It is probably those that I hear.

And that road test Nomad suggested sounds like a good idea. I know of a church that has a high wall that I could probably run by around 1000 on Sunday morning. lol. NOT. I will try it out though. I would love to have another 1600 rider take mine out for a ride to see how it handles/sounds and compare it.

Any takers??
Mark, i have a 2005 1600 similar to yours, and i could bring mine over, and we can switch bikes, for a ride and compare sounds!

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mark, i have a 2005 1600 similar to yours, and i could bring mine over, and we can switch bikes, for a ride and compare sounds!
Sure. That sounds good. Where in PA do you live?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts