Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Pardon my ignorance.

I've just bought a brand new Kawi ZX 6R. I'm still breaking the engine in, and I've found the gearbox to be quite stiff and clunky. Many people have said that this is quite normal in a new bike, and things will loosen up. However as a result I'm getting the occasional missed shift, and - man - that 'grinding' noise coming from below gives me the creeps!

Now I don't particularly mind the stiffness and clunkiness of the gearbox as much as I do those nasty missed shifts.

So here's my question:

How likely is it that a few missed shifts (say 10) during the first 600 miles might've damaged the transmission? In other words how tough are these transmissions nowadays?

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Those trannies are bulletproof, for the most part. A few misses shifts aren't gonna hurt it. Once you get the first oil change it should start to loosen up. You also wanna make sure you are really shifting hard, bikes don't like to be played 'nice' with like cars, Slam that shifter to change gears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Freakinout,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply man

I'm feeling better. And I will definitely follow your advice and give that **** shifter a serious push from now on

Max

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lol, it'll be interesting, if you are an observant person you may even realize the instant that gearbox decides it's broken in enough while you're riding. After your 600 mile and then 1000 miles I'm sure your bike will be like everyone elses, smooth shifting

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose, looking now at some of the replies I got from other people, I wasn't hitting the shifter hard enough, so sometimes between 2nd and 3rd I was getting a false neutral. And this is likely due to the type of oil the bike has for the first 600 miles. Now paying a little bit more attention, without doing any speed-shifting the missed shifts don't happen at all.

Everyone says things are gonna start getting better after the oil change which is due this Sat, and that during the first 600 miles the occasional missed shifts are quite common

I think I've probably had between 10 and 15 missed shifts in total. Yes I've become a little bit self-conscious, and started counting them. And the noise wasn't that bad after all. Rather than a nasty grinding noise, it was more like parts spinning without actually touching. It didn't last more than a second.

Hey, I really like this bike, and I was afraid I was messing things up

Max

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just make sure you use the clutch for the first 1000 miles, to help keep the transmission together. A blown tranny due to speed-shifting isn't a warranty item, y'know ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Max,
This forum is awesome whether it be to help you on an actual project or just to get some answers that ease your mind, I hope you continue to come back and post now that you have gotten some good answers :)

Stew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stew

I totally agree with you buddy

You got a problem, people just come up to you with answers and suggestions

Awesome!

Thanks guys

max

·
Registered
30 Posts
yup.. wait until you have put a few more miles on it... i had a similar problem with mine when i first got it and now its got 1500 miles and shifting is nice and smooth...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reason why this whole business about missed shifts and false neutrals surprised me a little, is because in 15 yrs of riding dirt bikes I've never had this problem. From the Honda XL600 to the XR650 and then to the Yamaha XT600 and the TT600 after that plus a couple of two stroke (CR250, and KX250), to finish - at the beginning of this year - with a KTM LC4 Supermoto.

Those shifters were a lot softer, and I never missed a gear

kawa bunga:
i see you ride in sunny miami. lucky you. i'm stuck here in the rain, in london uk.

man... i miss the sunshine

·
Registered
30 Posts
LoL yup the weather is beautiful here. However lately its been excrutiatingly hot during the day... but it definitely beats the rain! sorry to hear about that! :( lol u shoudl come for a visit!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going to see my folks in Italy in a couple weeks. Its blasting 100 on the beach. i'm originally from italy, moved to england about 7 yrs ago.

looking to cross to the other side of the pond, see what's available for a software developer.

last time i was in the US i spent 3 weeks in california. never been to florida though. sounds like it could be my next destination. maybe i'll pack the bike too, and we can catch up. hope you dont mind the color green

:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your Missed shifts are probably due to you Lightly touching the shifter while riding and Not noticing and then trying to shift while youve been touching it...I had the same Problem... Make sure you dont rest your foot on the shifter even a Little..Just touch it to shift and you should have no Problem....Check the next time you get a false shift and think to yourself...Was my foot touching the shifter while i was Climbming Rpm's in the Prior gear? Fixed my issue..And I hope i can help you =)

:twisted:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts