Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a Vulcan 900 Custom, will be riding 2 of us. How will it ride with 500lbs?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Lots of folks ride double on a 900. For sure you are going to need a new saddle. The stock classic saddle is better for a passenger, but most also replace that one also. If you are planning long tours you might want to step up the CCs. Lots of low priced used ones available in perfect shape. You might consider grabbing one of those. Check the for sales on this website to get an idea of pricing. Good luck!

·
Line rider
326 Posts
The manual says max weight is 400 lbs. Considering I take up a lot of that limit the wife hasn't been able to ride with me. I would like to know if 500lbs is possible as well, although hitting the gym hasn't been bad for my health. :) The wife is a tiny little thing so we would be well under 500 but over 400.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i'm sure it'll be fine.

you'll just need to stiffen the rear suspension from the stock position (4) to 6 or 7.
The owners manual will show you how... or if buying from a dealer, have them do it for you :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I ride like this all the time. Stiffen the preload on the shock (mine is set to 6) and like riding any other bike two up expect handling and performance to change. The 900 does just fine two up with that weight but if I was going to do frequent long trips I'd consider going larger.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I owned a 900 and it will carry 2 fine around town and for short trips. If you plan on 2 up for long trips you will want a larger bike.

·
KollinH
5 Posts
I have a 900 custom and I am about 250 lbs and my wife has her own bike so I don't ride 2-up. Passing at way speeds is good with just myself and my gear (about 70 lbs when touring) on the bike. Just be aware that your top speed with 500 lbs on the bike is going to drop off significantly and passing at highway speeds could take longer than you like. If i was to ride 2-up I would have looked higher up the vulcan food chain, unfortunately, in my humble opinion, the bigger bikes don't look as cool as the 900 custom.

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
How will it ride???

Slowwwwwww..........
Plus the thing to remember....your brakes are designed for 400lbs so the more wgt they have to deal with...will be sloww stopping too. By the time people throw on leathers and boots and all the other heavy stuff we carry...we add a lot more wgt.( my jacket alone probbly wiehgs around 35-40 lbs) Not something i want to have to think about. Might want to consider a bike that is designed for that amnt of wgt and not push it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The 900 will handle the weight just turn up the spring adjustment. My wife and I rode my 900 custom that I used to have no problems and I definately ain't small. You aren't going to win any races but it'll carry you at freeway speeds no problems.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 900 will handle the weight just turn up the spring adjustment. My wife and I rode my 900 custom that I used to have no problems and I definitely ain't small. You aren't going to win any races but it'll carry you at freeway speeds no problems.
I agree with this completely. The 900 is a great bike. It's kinda like buying an airplane. The first thing you need to do is understand "the mission". If the bulk of your riding is gonna be one up, two up around town, or the occasional two up long trip, the 900 will keep you satisfied. If the mission is gonna be frequent long two up adventures a bigger bike will be better. I go to the dealer all the time and lust after the bigger bikes but for me the 900 is the perfect compromise.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
You live out on the KP?
I'd go with a larger bike. Riding a 900 double up and down the hills out there is going to get old really quick. Look for a 1500/1600 classic/meanie etc. you won't regret it.

Man. Now I'm jonesing for a burger at the Tides.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
How will it ride???

Slowwwwwww..........
Plus the thing to remember....your brakes are designed for 400lbs so the more wgt they have to deal with...will be sloww stopping too. By the time people throw on leathers and boots and all the other heavy stuff we carry...we add a lot more wgt.( my jacket alone probbly wiehgs around 35-40 lbs) Not something i want to have to think about. Might want to consider a bike that is designed for that amnt of wgt and not push it.
While I agree that the extra gear does add weight, I just have to comment that I highly doubt your jacket weighs 35-40 lbs. My body armor doesn't weigh that much!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
While I agree that the extra gear does add weight, I just have to comment that I highly doubt your jacket weighs 35-40 lbs. My body armor doesn't weigh that much!
that weight includes the weight of all the chocolate bars and beef jerky he stuffs into the pockets :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to have read this thread. I too am looking at the 900 custom after getting to ride a used one today. I was wondering how it would do doubling, do you guys think it would have problems doubling around 400 pounds while going up mountains?

I was looking at honda shadow sabre 1100 and the vtx 1300 but the idea of being able to get a new 900 custom for the same price as a used vtx is pretty exciting. Also, from what I understand there shouldn't be much performance difference between the 1100 sabre and the 900 custom? What should I be able to get a 2009 900 custom for? They had a 2009 model brand new for $5800 on sale. So that means I should be able to pick one up for like $5,000?

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I have a 900 Classic (currently for sale) and I'm 350 lbs. I tell people I'm always riding two up. With gear, on my last 3 & 5 day trips, I probably was at 400 lbs.

I guess you can see that it handles mountains just fine.

The 900 is very torquey (if that's a word) and, as long as you're not trying to crest the pass at 80 mph, has no trouble with the mountains. Most of the almost 9000 miles on my classic are up and down the twisting roads & passes of Colorado. Where I found the 900 to be lacking was at 80 mph on highways. That's where its limits show. Accelerating from, say 55 mph to 75mph is much slower than with my new V2K. It's not bad. Love my 900, really do. It's just that I wanted something a bit bigger for long-term use.

500 lbs? If you're doing it all the time, I think you need to go larger.

That said, the official GVMR of the 2000 puts its max load at about 410 lbs. I think Kaw is covering their legal butts with their weight limits.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Some more pics. Officially to show you it's capabilities but really just to show off a bit.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
The 900 is a great bike, but imo if you are going to be cruising on the freeway, you'll want a bigger bike.

Have you considered a larger USED bike? I sold my used 900 for $6800 and picked up a used Nomad for $7500. Not too much of a difference in price but a HUGE difference on the freeway for long rides. Last summer I did 16K+ on my Nomad.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
As others have said, for 2 up you should consider something bigger. There's still some new 1500's out there to be had at decent prices. Might want to check ebay for ideas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts