Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for starters hello to all of you now that i know this forum is here I will be visiting quite often...I live in Arizona so if any of you wanna make some cash and help me fix this 92 ZX7 the offer is out there

The problem is this, got this bike, hasnt been ridden in a good year if not more. I replace all the hoses, plugs, filters, front tire, fuel lines and a few other misc stuff. Fired the bike up on full choke, 5 minutes later it started to sound real good, as if the parts that hadnt moved in so long were moveing correctly. So i drop the choke and the bike dies...i start it again no problem with the choke on of course, and kill the choke and the bike dies...well i do some research and I figure the carbs are clogged, atleast the lower jets or so im told. So i go pay a guy 200 or so bucks to clean the carb rack (which i pulled out and delivered) he cleaned it i put it back in...and now the bike wont start...I sprayed carb spray in the air box and it kicks over for 5 seconds tops...btw it sounds like #*#@ the bike wont stay on....and while im starting it i have it plugged into my car...not on of course, bc i didnt wanna kill the battery. Im lost plz help me with this email is [email protected] ill be checkin this post very frequently

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check all of the vacuum connections and fuel lines. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but do you have your fuel petcoc (mispelled so the stupid system won't overwrite the word) turned on? Is there enough fresh gas in the tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i re ran all the fuel lines b4 takeing the carb rack into the guy who cleaned it for me...the lines worked b4 i took it in so i am confident that the pet cok is where it needs to be as far as On Reserve and Off is concerned. I was talking to Kawasaki today and they said that since i tookthe carbs in w/o the bike that it is possible that the carbs are not dialed in/calibrated or something to that nature. Im wondering if one of the coil for the sparks is bad and im only getting 2 plugs to fire thus causeing the bike to die 5 seconds into it being on...or im not getting enough fuel to keep it on. I just dont know, i kinda need someone to tell me hey this is probably your problem so atleast i know what to look for...thanks for the reply i dig these boards so far everyone is hella cool.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
hey
where in arizona are ya ? im in phoenix and a bike mech by trade. i would be more than happy to help ya out.
from what im reading it sounds like your still not getting fuel to the carbs/engine. if it runs on carb cleaner and then dies its not getting fuel.
hit me up at [email protected] and we can talk. ill be in a house hopefully by the 15th but dont know for sure yet (fingers crossed)
later
lance

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'll bet you a pitcher of beer (good beer) that this guy you paid $200, bent at least one of your float arms and fudged up your float levels. These are spindly little plastic arms that are so easily bent, but bending them will maladjust the crucial float-level in each carb.
If you already paid this guy $200 for a simple carb rebuild, I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to get a section of clear hose out and check your float levels on each carb. And if he tells you he'll only do it for more money, please send us his name and phone number so we can all crankcall him in the wee hours of the morning to schedule bogus service appointments and not show up. That guy should take care of this for $200.
Good luck and keep us abreast.
-CCinC

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i can go along with cal on this and its def. worth the time to check. im also gonna throw in a simple solution............. turn your idle up, since the carbs where pulled apart he may have turned that out and its too low now. also need to check the carb snych (which i can do). keep in touch, we'll get it for ya.
later
lance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Petcoke

Probably doesnt help but,

On my bike there is 3 positions for the petcoke to be in.

Pri - Res - On.

Oddly enough when turned to on, the petrol doesnt flow out of it.

This had me in trouble and really stumped me for a while after i ran out. I turned to reserve then filled the bike and turned the petcoke to ON. The stupid bike wouldn't move.

Still doesnt make sense to me. Good Luck!

Taz

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
wook, welcome to the forum. sounds like you are in good hands with these guys, hopefully you'll have it running soon. in my experience QKENUF4U knows his stuff, so if he is willing to come help you out then do it without hesitation. good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh there is no hesitation, hes just a busy man. as soon as he gets a day to help the clouds will part and i will be back on the road:) thanks for the support

1 - 10 of 10 Posts