Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add an aftermarket intake to my 96 VN800, but there seem to be a few options out there, all promising great effects. Wondering if anyone out there has had experience with each of the major options.

I can't find much online about the systems other than the sales speaches, and have been unsuccessfull at finding any side by side comparisons.

Looking to add one of the following:

Thunder Mfg Tornado, Kurakyn Hypercharger, Kurakyn Hi-Five, or Barons Big Air Kit.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I have the ProR Hypercharger and very satisfied, but there is a new Kuryakyn intake on the market thats really slick

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I'm sure they all performe about the same so buy the one that catches your eyes more.

I ended up with the BAK comet

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I went for the Tornado. I like that big snorkel look.

I'm sure they all performe about the same so buy the one that catches your eyes more.
Sums it up about right.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Back when I had a 1500 I put a HighFive on it. I liked the look plus it wasn't much bigger than the OEM cover so I didn't worry about banging my knee on it. MHO but it didn't look like the bike had grown an extra appendage.

Just buy whichever looks best to you. They all work the same.

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. That helps. Think I might go with the hi-five. Found a killer deal on ebay for $150 for the complete kit, new!

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Back when I had a 1500 I put a HighFive on it. I liked the look plus it wasn't much bigger than the OEM cover so I didn't worry about banging my knee on it. MHO but it didn't look like the bike had grown an extra appendage.

Just buy whichever looks best to you. They all work the same.
Russ, if I hadn't seen that thread I never would have believed you ever rode a cruiser! :lol: Oh, and are those aftermarket pipes on there??? ;)

:biggrin:

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
one note, make sure you have clearance for your legs, the pro r sticks out a bit, but i have shorter legs so its no prob for me...could be a potential knee breaker

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Russ, if I hadn't seen that thread I never would have believed you ever rode a cruiser! :lol: Oh, and are those aftermarket pipes on there??? ;)

:biggrin:
Yeah man, I drank the kool-aid for a while :D . Bought a new '03 800B in '04 and rode it a yr. Traded it on a new '04 1500 Classic in the spring of '05. Did the HighFive breather, V&H 2to1 ProPipes, gutted epa crap, reed valve block off plates, rejetted carb; installed risers, windshield, saddlebags, engine guard & throttle lock. Maybe more, I can't remember, did all the work myself and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Emmie (short for Emerald, her color) was, and still is, a fine bike. Another member here, gwvulcan, bought her in early '08. Heard from him not too long ago, she's doing just fine.

·
Finally Free
142 Posts
I read somewhere else on this forum that hyperchargers can get ornery with elevation change and at high speeds. Since they all perform about the same, is that true of all of the intakes? Or was the other post wrong, are they fairly versatile?

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
No issues with my BAK. Can't really speak for the rest because I don't have them.

·
Green Machine
40 Posts
I put a hypercharger and I love the performance and the look is great. Tornado was my other option but I didn't like that big "snorkel" look. With the streamliner cover it looks pretty sweet all lit up too!!

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here is another question for the masses. I have yet to purchase the intake, and before I do maybe y'all can help. Is there a preferred method, or should I say sequence in modification? I want to upgrade both intake and exhaust, but should I do one before the other specifically? What I mean is, will I be wasting my time adding an aftermarket intake while still wearing stock pipes?

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks MetalMan. I figured as much, I was just hoping against hope I could go with the less expensive part first :)

·
Flash Frozen
733 Posts
If I were to do it again.I would gowith the big air intake. That is a good lookin product. And will suck just as good as a Hypercharger.The thing I did not like about my hypercharger was that It Made Noise.I did not like the added sound of the buterflies opening and closeing.I allways lubed them and still could hear it. So long story short.I Have a Victory Vision Tour.It is best to leave this Quiet Moster a Sleeper.100 miles an hour, low rmp in 6th gear-OD.No backfire,just purrrr...But the 9 is a sweet ride .Nimbal around town,But on the open highway it kind of fell on it's face.100miles an hour and high rpm ,wind and sh** too. ...Kind miss the ol LT(900)Im Di'nt buy a Hardley or an Old Wing

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the looks of the BAK too, and have been torn between that and the Hi-Five. I'm pretty strapped though, so the budget necesitates the best bargain. Found the Hi-Five for $150 new with everything needed for install. Just put in a bid on ebay for some fatpipes at $100. We will see how that goes... Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts