Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and couldnt really find an answer. What do ya'll think is the best set-up, Hypercharger or Thunder Air Kit? Money wise they are both the same. Ive got VH straigt shots which is my only mod right now. I like the looks of both.
thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Performance wise I would think they're pretty even. Down in this part EVERY bike I see as a Hypercharger on it, just for that reason I wouldn't put one on mine. I like things to be a bit different! Thunder makes some goods stuff, either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
jwilson
what type of bike do you have?
i went with the thunder air because for the meanstreak the hyper charger actually lost horsepower.
also you will need to rejet if you have carbs or will have to get a tfi or powercommander if you have fuel injection.

·
Registered
302 Posts
THUNDER AIR / HYPERCHARGER

I'm going to go with the thunder air(round) kit because it doesn't stick out as far as the hypercharger and I've been told by the people that dyno-tune these bikes that it will breathe much better. The hyper charger has a much smaller filter but really messes with your right(brake) leg and knee area for alot of people. If you want the hard facts on performance differance call Jonhhy Cheese Performace Motorcycles - he highly reccomends the thunder air kit over the hypercharger . By the way how do you like your pipes? How loud are they? Hope this helps;
Lonestar

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

thunder flows more air,period-i've seen the the dyno charts :wink:

also don't stick out as far,hypercharger works and is a good unit , just doesn't flow
quite as much :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input..... My local dealer told me that the thunder kit is by far better. He said they took a stock 1500 and put a thunder kit on and it increased the hp by 20 horses. i think i will order a thunder kit... I like the one that has a 90 on it with a cone shaped filter. Do they get in the way?
O its an 02 meanie....I love the pipes, they sound great!

·
Registered
67 Posts
jwilson32 said:
He said they took a stock 1500 and put a thunder kit on and it increased the hp by 20 horses.
O its an 02 meanie....I love the pipes, they sound great!
WOW! Did he tell ya how he hooked up the Nitrous? If he got 33% horse power increase with an air filter, he needs to patent what ever he's doing............... :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

:lol: :lol:

i think your talking about their tornado kit?and yes it sticks out more than
covered unit a little on some bikes,buy extra cones and covers for them
if you go that route -you'll need them

that thing will flow some air though :wink:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thunder Air Kit

Just got my 7" round (fluted) Thunder Air Kit by UPS yesterday. It looks to be made well(but very overpriced!) I read a review on customcruiser.com by a meanstreak owner that said he "modified" his so it would not stick out ant further than stock- looking at mine I don't see how this is possible. Anyone out there that has one installed how do you like it? It's going to be a few more weeks before I can get mine on with my new V&H Propipe & powercommander (Johnny Cheese is going on vacation until 8-3-04 and he's going to do the dynotune for me) Also do any of you have experiance with "coasters" installed with the thunder air kit?
Any Info Is Appreciated, Thank's!
Lonestar

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the look of a hyper-charger(cept for the knee interference bit), but people that I've talked to who seem to know what they're talking about say that the Thunder Air is better.

One tech told me that he could get me more horsepower out of a stock air box than with the hyper-charger. Not much, but a little. It depends on what you're after in the end. Performance or looks. If you don't mind the loss of a 2-3 hp and like the look of the hyper-charger, cool beans. If that 2-3 hp means more, don't use the hyper-charger.

I can't decide so I'm still running stock. :roll:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thunder air kit

I want to get the Thunder Air kit. How difficult is it to install. What do you do on the other side of the engine? Do you need a PC III if you go with the air kit? I just got an 02 Meanstreak with 600 miles and have already doubled the miles. I love it, but want to add some power and chrome and a little more sound than the stock exhaust. Any Ideas are welcome

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

this set up seems to deliver good power all through the power band:

thunder air kit
pcIIIusb custom map
hard krome pipes(my preference) or a 2into1 pipe for max power :wink:

not hard to install-basic skills and tools and you can put a dummy breather
on the other side

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks, that sounds like a great set up for the meanstreak. Its great to hear what everybody else has tried or thinks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aussie1 said:
I have the Hypercharger on my Mean Strak.
It hangs out too far for me so I intend to change it for a BAK air cleaner.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d...ory_ID=86&manufacturer_ID=167&product_ID=9763
Cheers
I have to agree about the hyper charger sticking out too far. I put a pro-series on my 1600 classic, performance is excellent, but it just interfered with my normal riding position so I will also be looking for something else. Have you determined the BAK unit doesn't interfere? It sure looks good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[quote="Jack Dotson. Have you determined the BAK unit doesn't interfere? It sure looks good.[/quote]
From what I've seen it hangs out about the same as the Thunder Kit which is a lot less than the Hypercharger.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Ok just measued my Thunder kit- it sticks out 4 1/4 inch from the cylinder head with the verticle S&S style cover. How far does the hypercharger stick out?

Phatboy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Phatboy said:
Ok just measued my Thunder kit- it sticks out 4 1/4 inch from the cylinder head with the verticle S&S style cover. How far does the hypercharger stick out?

Phatboy
The hyper charger sticks out 5 3/4" from the head to the closest point on the back of the charger, out to the edge is 6".

I'm looking at Thunder units now, at least the 4 1/4" you can live with. Any of you guys out there that have updated your air intakes, your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, quick question: Do airkit modifications or a power commander void the dealer warranty? Just wondering. Also along those lines, would you agree that airkits and power commanders should be installed at the same time?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts