Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HyperCharger on my 08 kaw meanstreak they have been on for a year or so. right after I got my 12k tune up it started backfiring and sputering, even some on the air intake side.
now from my reading around they say these are the worst air intakes made. My butter flyes never worked on it but they say that may be the problem. DoES anyone have a idea of the problem. and also do you know of any air filters I can use for that type A bracket in case I just want to chuck it all together?

·
Registered
57 Posts
maybe the vacuum line that is supposed to be hooked to the breather to operate the butterflies is unhooked?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Follow the hose from the butterflies to the intake body, chances are that hose blew off.

IMO if you find that cap the brass port off and let the butter flies be open ALL the time, by wiring them to be open or jaming them to be open.

All a hyper charger is, is a big air filter container with moving parts, but the parts move by way of engine vacuum.. Since there is no impellor there is no charger to it period. it is just a big free flowing air filter container..

The whole thing is screwy, since when you wack on the throttle engine vacuum drops like a rock which closes the flappers.. I am not sure calling them butterflies really applies...

Fancy looking, but like **** on a bull.. If someone gave me one I would intall it with a lever to open and close the flappers... Open when riding and closed when parked.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
The ones on mine are closed under vacuum and open when you open the throttle. No problems with it.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I'd suspect the vacuum line as well, for the butterflies not functioning.

As to why it's all the sudden backfiring AFTER your tune up, does the bike have a Power Commander, or other fuel controller installed? Your map/settings may have gotten changed/bumped, or just need re-adjusted.

Never heard of the HyperChargers being the "worst" intakes, but I never really looked into them, either. But if you decide to replace it, there is a lot of stuff to fit the Type-A adaptor. Check out Thunder Manufacturing for starters. I have a Tornado on my 1500, and really like it.

(gratuitous bike shot)

·
Registered
57 Posts
here is an idea, maybe the vacuum line wasn't hooked up when he took it in for the service, and thinking they were doing a good dead tried hooking it up for him, but did something wrong, like leave a vacuum leak? would that cause his issues?

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
^^ That seems likely. I know mine runs like crap if I forget to hook the line up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Closed when the engine is off? really?
should be OPEN when engine is off or vacuum line is disconnected. with engine idling they should be open just a little and fluctuating with the engine speed, as you give it more throttle they should open progressively more. at least thats how they work if adjusted properly. i had one on a 650 V-Star and really liked it, it isn't really a power adder, but it is cool.....

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
the diaphram can fail...mine failed and it was a cheap part...you can set them open all the time...until you replace the diaphram...my pro r hypercharger on my v2k works awesome

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
should be OPEN when engine is off or vacuum line is disconnected. with engine idling they should be open just a little and fluctuating with the engine speed, as you give it more throttle they should open progressively more. at least thats how they work if adjusted properly. i had one on a 650 V-Star and really liked it, it isn't really a power adder, but it is cool.....

Actually the big 3 should add from 10 to 15%. If pipes, air and fuel management didn't add anything then something is wrong. Maybe a map?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well ok, a wee lesson seems in order then.. I am a x foreign car tech, of a very long time.

All chargers have a method of impellors to pack more air into the intake.
The hyper charger has no impellors, therefore it charges nothing.

The flappers do nothing but flap.

When the engine is off there is no engine vacuum.

Engine vac depends on where the throttle plate is, and a port behind the throttle plate with a cap or a vac pod is not a vac leak. With nothing, as in the case of a blown off tubing, bad diaphram, blown off cap, split, loose brittle cap/tubing there is a vac leak, or un-metered air entering the intake.

The way the flappers work is with engine vacuum. A spring holds the flappers open with the engine off,and at times where there is very little engine vacuum.

At WOT (wide open throttle) there is very little engine vacuum, if any, so at these times the spring is pulling the flappers open.

At lower rpm, there is engine vacuum in the intake, and that vacuum will pull the flappers against the spring and semi close them, or make them flap.

There isn't any working to these other than moving flappers.. The device is simply a bigger freer flowing air box, that moves flappers.

These flappers tend to mix up the air flow, something like clogging the air cleaner on and off really fast, and that idea doesn't set well with me when the idea we want is more power.

Now it isn't exactly wrong to have these flutter, but it does us no good, when we are after a straight clear flow of rammed air.

There used to be a device with no moving parts, called velocity stacks, which grabbed air, and streamlined the flow. Hyper Chargers do the exact opposite.

So wiring these open or making them manual seems to be a better way to go. Close the flappers when parked to keep out bugs, and water. Open it and leave them open when riding for maxiumum air.

I will give ya, that these look good. So do bikini's :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts