Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Just to recap so are all on the same page. With the ignition key turned off, you can connect the battery without any noise from relays or the starter, right?

Once the battery has been connected and you turn the key, the starter motor immediately starts to crank. Is that correct?

If so, it could be as simple as a stuck starter push button, or your starter relay is stuck. If the starter push button feels like it is operating normally, ie pushes in and springs back out, then remove and test the starter relay as per the instructions in your service manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just to recap so are all on the same page. With the ignition key turned off, you can connect the battery without any noise from relays or the starter, right?

Once the battery has been connected and you turn the key, the starter motor immediately starts to crank. Is that correct?

If so, it could be as simple as a stuck starter push button, or your starter relay is stuck. If the starter push button feels like it is operating normally, ie pushes in and springs back out, then remove and test the starter relay as per the instructions in your service manual.
Yes ok as soon as I ground the starter it turns over with key in bike or not

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a main ground and there’s a pigtail on battery, on the positive side there is the wire with the fuse

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Ok, still have trouble picturing it. When you say "main ground" we need more detail. Where does this main ground start and where does it end? Is it a heavy black wire? The more detail you can provide about your situation, the faster we can resolve it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok, still have trouble picturing it. When you say "main ground" we need more detail. Where does this main ground start and where does it end? Is it a heavy black wire? The more detail you can provide about your situation, the faster we can resolve it.
Testing my starter relay it’s shot...soo ordered a new one. I’m testing my stator ohms are 1.1 on all 3 wires manual says it should be .3 or.6 can I assume my stator needs to be replaced

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Testing my starter relay it’s shot...soo ordered a new one. I’m testing my stator ohms are 1.1 on all 3 wires manual says it should be .3 or.6 can I assume my stator needs to be replaced
I ordered a new one just in case

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I sent a pic

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Ok, I see the confusion now. The main ground is the wire with the large terminal on the LH side of the photo. It is the one with a hole in it that bolts to the negative terminal of the battery. This large diameter, heavy black wire should lead directly to the engine and the connections should be clean and solid.

You also have a much smaller ground that is black/yellow and it looks like this wire comes from the main harness and is attached to the frame by the bolt that holds your battery box in place. Normally it would not be done this way. Normally that wire would have been spliced directly into your main ground, or alternatively it would be attached directly to the negative terminal of your battery post.

I hope this answers your question.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Hey that is great news that you found the problem with the relay.

Looking at your photo, the bullet connector for the white/red wire needs to be fixed ASAP. If that touches any metal part it will short circuit with potential to cause a fire.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts