Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a rebuild on my 1999 kx250 I need opinions on color

I am gonna get the frame and swing arm powder coated But mot sure which color. What do you guys think is a better looking color Black, factory green, or silver. I just purchased green plastics and N-style 5th dragon Graphics kit. I have also purchased black tripple clamps, black pro taper bars, black levers, black grips, all new bearings brake lines and cables, new seat, all new fuel line and carb vent hoses procircuit platinum exhaust and 304 silencer, V3 reed cage and just rebuilt the top end. suspension is in great shape so no need to rebuild that. The foot pegs are gonna have to wait till I get the powder coating done :shock:

I will post before and after pics in about a month I hope.

Here is what the graphics look like.
5TH DRAGON MONSTER GRAPHICS KAWASAKI KX125 KX250 99-02 : eBay Motors (item 280459026642 end time Mar-02-10 06:47:29 PST)

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
But when you paint it, it's bound to get scratched. Even the toughest primers and paints. I would know. My dad is a pro painter and I had the swing arm on my old bike done, with industrial e-poxy primer and $200 gal black paint, 3 coats with 2 coats of clear. Lasted a little while, but got scratched.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just rebuilt my 1994 KX 250. I was too impatient to powder coat it which I should've done. I have black and green plastics to choose from. At first I painted it black but to be honest I didn't like it with the green plastics. The black plastics looked okay but was a little too black for me. Then I painted it green and liked it more. It looks good with green or black plastics and it helps to break it up a bit. The swing arm I painted silver, but I was strongly considering some anodized blue paint and I might still do that. I just signed in here and will try to get some pics up. That's just my opinion. I think the black frame could look good, but it felt like a step back in evolution to me.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
^ Yes. If your going to change the color to any part that will come into contact with objects that would scratch it, like a swing arm, anodizing would be best.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But when you paint it, it's bound to get scratched. Even the toughest primers and paints. I would know. My dad is a pro painter and I had the swing arm on my old bike done, with industrial e-poxy primer and $200 gal black paint, 3 coats with 2 coats of clear. Lasted a little while, but got scratched.
As it is now the swing arm has 1 scuff I could go without powder coating it. But it's only gonna cost me $150.00 to prep and powder coat the frame, sub-frame and swing arm. So Iam just gonna powder coat it for that price and powder coating is more durable than paint. Plus if you polish a swing arm and you scratch it you are gonna have to sand and polish it.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
As it is now the swing arm has 1 scuff I could go without powder coating it. But it's only gonna cost me $150.00 to prep and powder coat the frame, sub-frame and swing arm. So Iam just gonna powder coat it for that price and powder coating is more durable than paint. Plus if you polish a swing arm and you scratch it you are gonna have to sand and polish it.
Yeah, powdercoat is more durable then some paint, not the stuff I used. But whatever. I just say save the trouble and leave it. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like Black/Gray powder coat. I saw a KX500 that had been restored and the guy powder coated the frame and swing arm black with gray in it. Not sure how he did it I saw it in the bed of his truck on the free way. It looked great. Doesnt the swing arm come the factory with gray powder coat? I have a 99 KX250 and my swing arm has gray powder coat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2 cents

Go green on the frame and the factory gray/aluminum on the swing arm. You know you can't go wrong with that. That is how I am going on the '89 KX project, also black triple clamps etc with green plastics.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just purchased a black tripple clamp set on ebay new for $15.00. I have all the part I need purchased It's just that the weather here has been crap. I'm hoping to get started in the next few weeks. I have spent about 1,600.00 in parts and including the cost of powder coating still cheaper than buying a new bike. It should only take me about a week to do the rebuild ( 1 day tear down send the frame off for powder coating thats a 5 day turn around and 2 days to rebuld if all goes well) I will post pics of before and after. I originally was gonna go with the green but I got to thinking that black looks different than most Kawasaki's and silver would make it look a bit more moder. So that why I am debating on different colors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts