Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I changed the oil/filter (with a little help) pretty much by myself!!!
I fiqure I want to learn and "do" as much basic maintenance myself as possible.....its good to know and saving some $$ is a plus. :wink:

What kind of maintenance do you do on your own?
Any tips?

Thanks girls!! 8)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Great job and a very enjoyable feeling. I think all of us have a fear of messing something up, but now that you are wrenching you'll find that on the holidays and B-day you will be asking for tools!

See ya

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1Adam12 said:
Great job and a very enjoyable feeling. I think all of us have a fear of messing something up, but now that you are wrenching you'll find that on the holidays and B-day you will be asking for tools!

See ya
Mmmmm.....b-day in September....thanks for the great idea!!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
ooh ooh my b-day is in september and I'll be finished with college in 2 years, can anyone say "new moto with graduation money" ten times fast, but I'll definitly be keepin the virago around and riding it at least once a week to keep everything nice and good.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
ok,

It's the September b-day club....

Mine is the 6th.

Heres how it will go. I'll buy you a gift (torque wrench or something you want) and you'll send one back! Feel free to join in Stuart!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1Adam12 said:
ok,

It's the September b-day club....

Mine is the 6th.

Heres how it will go. I'll buy you a gift (torque wrench or something you want) and you'll send one back!
Oh so this is how it works uh?? :roll: NOT!!! :wink: :wink: Nice try though!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
okay...okay...I'll take a 2005 model of any bike :)...and you'll get your torque wrench as promised

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
i'm not usually a party crasher but I thought this was the ladies only forum Stu? You tryin to make time on all the gurls while we guys aren't lookin?

A question for NG, did you get grease/oil under your nails, cause that gives immediate entrance into the mechanic club.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spok said:
i'm not usually a party crasher but I thought this was the ladies only forum Stu? You tryin to make time on all the gurls while we guys aren't lookin?

A question for NG, did you get grease/oil under your nails, cause that gives immediate entrance into the mechanic club.
Good Question......
And yes I did and it sucked!! But hey I did'nt break a nail... :wink:
So I am in the "club" now??

·
Registered
14 Posts
NinjaGirl said:
spok said:

Good Question......
And yes I did and it sucked!! But hey I did'nt break a nail... :wink:
So I am in the "club" now??
I guess that depends on whether you cleaned the gunk out from under them or just painted over it. :p

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Bravo on doing your own maintenance

I do some of my own maintenance. I used the repair manual as a reference. Most people think a women doesn't know anything about vehicles (2 or 4) . I am a shade tree mechanic myself..... I have become very familiar with the workings of all of my bikes. If it is something I don't have the knowledge to fix I can take it to my mechanic and intelligently describe what is wrong...don't get ripped off or taken advantage of. Mack and I save a lot of money doing maintenance on all our vehicles.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Fun

Part of the fun of doing your own work is getting dirty :lol: Check the oil level everytime you ride before you take it off the center stand. Especially if you have an older bike....Check the tire pressure every couple of weeks. Go by the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

Get a Repair manual and look through it and become familiar with all of the moving parts. You will know where to look if something goes wrong. After a while you will become intune with your ride and will know if there is something wrong.....

Hope this helps....I believe in being able to do things myself whenever possible.

Good Luck and have fun exploring your bikes :D

Heather

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Fun

kyhick1 said:
Part of the fun of doing your own work is getting dirty :lol: Check the oil level everytime you ride before you take it off the center stand. Especially if you have an older bike....Check the tire pressure every couple of weeks. Go by the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

Get a Repair manual and look through it and become familiar with all of the moving parts. You will know where to look if something goes wrong. After a while you will become intune with your ride and will know if there is something wrong.....

Hope this helps....I believe in being able to do things myself whenever possible.

Good Luck and have fun exploring your bikes :D

Heather
Perfect...Thanks for the input!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts