Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about trading up to a bigger bike. I bought my 800A a couple of months ago. It was my first bike in 20 years and the biggest bike I'd ever ridden. I had no idea that I'd want to buy a bigger bike so soon.

My hubby and I spent the day Saturday in Denver going to all the dealers. He ended up trading in his bike, and I thought he was nuts. But while he was looking at Yamaha sports bikes. I was checking out all the big cruisers. That was the first time I'd ever seen the 1500s in person. I didn't test ride any of them because I thought I'd just wait until next season. I did give the dealer my name in case a used one came into the shop.

Last night, though, I was bored and I checked all the want ads for my area. I saw that one of the local dealers had a 2002 1500 Classic for sale. And today I rode my bike out to the dealer to check it out. I fell in love almost immediately. This bike is a 2002, but it has only 3100 miles on it. The guy who bought it (new) just hardly ever rode it. He kept it in the garage all this time, and he got feeling guilty because it was just sitting there, getting "wasted." He traded it in for two quads for his son. This bike looks brand spanking new. The floorboards don't look like anyone's ever put a foot on them, and the tires have absolutely no wear. It's in perfect shape. And the dealer gave me such a great trade-in on my 800 that I just couldn't say no. So I ended up leaving my 800 and bringing the 1500 home tonight.

Wow, what a wonderful bike. So powerful and smooth, and such great suspension (one of the biggest things I noticed). I'm in love!

Here's a picture of the actual bike, taken off the dealer's web site. I'm going to add a few more after-market mods to it. It has the stock exhaust. The only mods it has are the back rest and the windscreen. I'll add some highway bars at the very minimum (I kept my saddle bags). I'll change out the stock handgrips, too, for sure. And will probably end up changing the exhaust after a while. After my V&H Straightshots, those stock pipes just sound way too tame.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
wooohoooo...great news Jukie....

You are not going to be dissapointed. keep us informed on all your new riding excursions and your progressions.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

I ordered Jerry Palladino's Ride Like a Pro for the Ladies last night, before I even *thought* about trading up to a bigger cruiser. I'm glad I did! I'm learning forward to learning his techniques for handling the big cruisers.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: classic

ispeed77 said:
ps. how does your husband like the FJR ?
He LOVES it! He says it's the bike he's been waiting his whole life for. :)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I think it's nice if you can have both. They're so different. For straight highway riding, my bike is definitely the best. But he definitely has the advantage on the twisty mountain roads we ride a lot. He doesn't like the way sitting on a cruiser feels; I love it. I don't feel very stable on his bike; it's too high for me. But it's there if I ever want to ride it. :)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ispeed, can you tell me what performance improvements you got after you put on your hypercharger? I'm wondering whether that's a mod worth doing to my bike.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Awesome, Congratualtions, that's a beautiful bike. You'lllike the DVD also, there are soem great tips form Jerry. He does make it look easy. I have the II and III versions. Kathy has the ladies. Too bad it's going to snow this weekend.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Excellent choice! :)

The look of these bikes spells "NICE" IMHO

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wow, very pretty. Congrats on the new ride! May you get many enjoyable and safe rides from her 8)

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
hypercharger

julie
when i installed the hypercharger, i also installed my power commander so i am not sure how much power it gained on its own. with both of them though, very nice. i guess everyone is leaning towards the thunder kits though, a little more power than the kuryakyn and less interference with your leg. let us know what you end up doing.
david

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Congrats Julie, that's a great looking 1500.

bluestringer

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Sweet bike, now if the snow would just melt & the roads would dry out :roll: :roll:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RampRat Sr said:
Sweet bike, now if the snow would just melt & the roads would dry out :roll: :roll:
Well, actually, the snow did melt today. In fact, hubby took my new bike out for a spin today (he hadn't ridden it yet). It's supposed to get up to 48 tomorrow, so I'm planning to ride to work. :D

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
jukief said:
RampRat Sr said:
Well, actually, the snow did melt today. In fact, hubby took my new bike out for a spin today (he hadn't ridden it yet). It's supposed to get up to 48 tomorrow, so I'm planning to ride to work. :D
I hate you :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

It's really icy & ickey here, hope it clears up in a day or so 8) 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts