Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Aimsoil occasionally in each bike that I've owned but have never experienced that great a difference until now. I recently changed the oil in my Nomad with Aimsoil motorcycle oil (10W40) at about 4200 miles since the last oil change and I have noticed smoother shifting, quieter shifting, and a quieter drive train overall! It's not my intention to start another typical "my motorcycle oil is better than yours", just wanted to share my experience. If that performance continues, I'll probably stick with Aimsoil but will go beyond the 3000 - 4000 mile oil change.....it's just so darn expensive! ;)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I'm currently looking for a good syn to use, as I've been unhappy with the shift quality with Mobil 1 MC. I've heard nothing but great things about Amsoil (with the exception of Northernman's testimony) and have a close, reasonably priced source for it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried the amsoil 10w-40 synthetic in my 900,and for some reason i started getting clutch shudder.So i switched to royal purple 10w-40 max-cycle every thing works great now.I am not saying amsoil is not good oil,but my bike didn't like it.:confused:

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I've been using Rotella 5w-40 synthetic for about 3 years now. Very happy with it. Costs about $20/gal at Wally World and I can use it in my diesel truck too.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Maybe I'll give it a try...
I have used Mobil 1, Castrol what ever full syn they have, Castrol Evo syn blend and Valvoline. One thing I tell you, I'll never use Valvoline at least on this motorcycle. It became so noisy that after 1000 miles of use I went back to castrol evo. Now from mobil 1 to castrol evo is twice the price per quart and frankly I don't see any difference in performance so I've been sticking to castrol evo for the last two oil changes.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Valvoline MC was the worst oil I've used so far. I found myself kicking my shifter into submission on my 94 250R when I had that stuff in the engine.

·
2007 900 Custom
119 Posts
Glenn,
You say Royal Purple Max-cycle is doing good in your 900? I like RP and have been using the products in the tranny and differential of my old car due to is properties and it's been pretty good. Also been looking for a different product besides the Mobil1(nothing against Mobil1) Good motor oil. But was just about to purchase the Shell Rotella.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I use regular Mobil 1 and Shell Rotella Syn in my bikes for over 20 yrs with zero problems...recently in the ZX14, V2K, GV650, CBR600RR, and the 250 Ninja

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Valvoline MC was the worst oil I've used so far. I found myself kicking my shifter into submission on my 94 250R when I had that stuff in the engine.
+1. Valvoline MC was the worst in my 1500 Classic. I dumped it after about 1k miles. That bike also hated Mobil 1- made the clutch slip. I ended up using Valvoline full synthetic auto oil in it, worked great. I've been using Valvoline auto oil in my Yamaha since day one, works fine.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I have used Aimsoil occasionally in each bike that I've owned but have never experienced that great a difference until now. I recently changed the oil in my Nomad with Aimsoil motorcycle oil (10W40) at about 4200 miles since the last oil change and I have noticed smoother shifting, quieter shifting, and a quieter drive train overall! It's not my intention to start another typical "my motorcycle oil is better than yours", just wanted to share my experience. If that performance continues, I'll probably stick with Aimsoil but will go beyond the 3000 - 4000 mile oil change.....it's just so darn expensive! ;)
Just sign up to be a "Preferred" customer. Then you buy it at wholesale price. Not affiliated with Amsoil at all, just like the stuff and that's what I do, have no interest in being a dealer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Amsoil must be really good I heard, but around here it's not available.
End of the week I have an oilchange too.
I will refresh it with 10W40 Belray full synthetic.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I used Amsoil for over 30K miles in my 900 with no Ill results. I just changed to Shell Rotella. I can buy a gallon of that for almost the price of 1 quart of Amsoil. I just change every 3K now instead of 4K. Its still running great and shifting smooth and I am saving a lot. I bought a 2.5 gallon jug at walmart for 27 dollars. And I'll used most all of it up over the summer.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I use the mobil synthetic and it seems to work good for me. I'm not sure that any one is really better than the other. Just change it on a regular basis and it will be fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For those of you that are using Rotella what is the exact name of the oil I should be looking for at Wallyworld? I still have 1 quart of Amsoil left and was also wondering if I could use that with the Rotella when I change oil again?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Best Oils To Use In Your Bike(just my opinion)

Engine oil : The commercial grade oils are clearly superior to the mass market oils. For the best protection in your bike or car, use Shell Rotella Synthetic, available at Wal-Mart in blue containers . For the best petroleum oil you can buy, get Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac 1300, or Chevron Delo 400, available at any auto parts store. On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50. Here's several pages All About Oil justifying these conclusions.

The Recommended Synthetic Oils
Shell Rotella Synthetic
5w-40 Delvac 1 Synthetic
5w-40 Mobil-1 SUV/Truck Synthetic
5w-40 AMSOil AMF Synthetic
10w-40 Golden Spectro Synthetic
10w-50 Motul 5100 Synthetic
10w-40 Mobil-1 Synthetic
15w-50 Mobil-1 MX4T Synthetic

The best synthetics are: (in no particular order)

Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container, not white), gallon at Wal-Mart.
Mobil Delvac-1 5w-40 (grey container, not black), gallon at Petro stations, gallon at Farm and Fleet.
Mobil-1 SUV 5w-40, qt anywhere.
AMSOil AMF 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil, about qt.
Golden Spectro Supreme, (no price).
Motul 5100 Ester, (no price).

Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows.

For temperatures below -40, I strongly recommend either Mobil-1 0w-30 or the Canadian Shell 0w-40 Rotella. At these temperatures, your car is your life. Using cheap or incorrect oil is risking your life.

For temperatures below -55c, -65f, stay home. Really.

The Recommended Petroleum Oils

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40
Delvac 1300 15w-40
Shell Rotella 15w-40

The best petroleum oils are: (in no particular order)

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 (blue container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Costco.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 (black container) gallon at any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 (white container) gallon at Wall-Mart or any auto parts store, gallons at Sam's Club.

If you live in another country, you'll have to do a bit of research to decide on an oil. Generally, any oil certified for use in a late model Volks wagon or Mercedes turbo diesel is a good choice. Another good idea is to go to a truck stop and ask the truckers about brands. Rotella is marketed all over the world, but in other countries it's called Rotella or Rimola or Helix Ultra, and the formulation may be a bit different, depending on local climate and preferences. It will likely also be a lot more expensive than it is here.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
For those of you that are using Rotella what is the exact name of the oil I should be looking for at Wallyworld? I still have 1 quart of Amsoil left and was also wondering if I could use that with the Rotella when I change oil again?
Shell Rotella T 15W-40. Its in a white jug.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I used Amsoil for over 30K miles in my 900 with no Ill results. I just changed to Shell Rotella. I can buy a gallon of that for almost the price of 1 quart of Amsoil. I just change every 3K now instead of 4K. Its still running great and shifting smooth and I am saving a lot. I bought a 2.5 gallon jug at walmart for 27 dollars. And I'll used most all of it up over the summer.
Not sure where you guys are buying your Amsoil from but there just isn't that big a price difference for me.
1 quart Amsoil $9.15
4L Shell Rotella T Synthetic $29.99 or $7.50 liter

Nothing wrong with Shell Rotella but the main reason I run Amsoil is because it's a good oil AND it's also quite a bit cheaper than Mobil 1 V-Twin ($15.99 liter) etc., what I would call a comparable oil.

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Best Oils To Use In Your Bike(just my opinion)
Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows.
+1. Valvoline MC was the worst in my 1500 Classic. I dumped it after about 1k miles. That bike also hated Mobil 1- made the clutch slip. I ended up using Valvoline full synthetic auto oil in it, worked great. I've been using Valvoline auto oil in my Yamaha since day one, works fine.
Now you've heard of it on a Kaw too! :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts