Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........to ride as defensively as I can. I ride like I am totally invisible to all the other cars. I expect all of them to do stupid things, so I am somewhat prepared when they do. I always account for all the cars around me and get upset when one surprises me by coming into my proximity without me seeing it. I always give myself a place to go in case something happens. I avoid situations that put me in danger, even though, it may mean a longer route. I am a good cage driver, with a perfect record....except for my roll overs in a rally car, but I don't count those.

My point is....I have a feeling that I am due. I know this is silly to feel this way, but it does cross my mind now and then. I will still continue to ride and drive my cage, but I was just wondering if anyone else gets this feeling now and then?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
All of us are due. There's only two kinds of riders. Those who have wrecked, and those who WILL. I was told that early on and thought it wouldn't happen to me, but it did...in a stupid unexpected way.

Just keep watching out for them cages and you'll be fine! :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
I try to obey all the traffic regs and drive defensively move with traffic not faster and be courteous in my habits. These practices have not prevented me from being in accidents however, I've been hit three times while stopped at lights once by a DUI twice by new drivers. All of those have been over twenty years ago.

I did find it interesting when I took the MSF class that they taught what I already consider good habits for any driver. SEE search, evaluate, execute. I constantly monitor ahead but then I do much of my driving on congested roadways. One of my greatest fears is to be rear ended because AMBER means slow down prepare to stop not STEP ON IT AND BEAT THE LIGHT. They have started to install red light cameras at dangerous intersections hopefully this will reduce the odds of having a grill up my butt.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
My stupid wreck:

I used to ride dirt bikes and unlicensed 250s as a kid growing up in the country. They were never in the best working order, but they got me where I needed to go and stopped when I needed them to...usually. lol. Well, I took the MSF and my instructor was very impressed with how much of a "natural" I was. lol. Well, it had been about 10 years since I'd rode, but we only had a hand brake on the couple bikes we had (converted or otherwise). Yeah...while trying to be mindful of using both brakes, I noticed I wasn't using the foot brake. And, being an idiot, I looked down to find it. Bit it while turning doing about 20mph right in front of the class! lol. Oh well. Better there than on the road!

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I don't get that feeling. I think it is only because I realize they are out to kill me. I don't ride when I feel poorly (mentally or physically). I make sure my bike is up to snuff everyday that I ride. I don't try to go faster to test my skills. I practice swerving and braking at least once a month (at various speeds). But most of all, I try to ride as though I am invisible. And, yes, I do believe that many riders will biff it, but usually because they weren't paying enough attention, or showing off. Three of my riding buddies that have been riding for over 30 years (one over 50) have NEVER been in an accident. Been scare sh!!less numerous times, but never laid it down or bumped by car. Another friend who has been riding only 10 years has dumped his bike at least 10 times. He takes chances on the road. Not smart. We don't ride with him.

So as to the saying "There are two kinds of riders"..... Maybe.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Thats a goiod thing!

........to ride as defensively as I can. I ride like I am totally invisible to all the other cars. I expect all of them to do stupid things, so I am somewhat prepared when they do. I always account for all the cars around me and get upset when one surprises me by coming into my proximity without me seeing it. I always give myself a place to go in case something happens. I avoid situations that put me in danger, even though, it may mean a longer route. I am a good cage driver, with a perfect record....except for my roll overs in a rally car, but I don't count those.

My point is....I have a feeling that I am due. I know this is silly to feel this way, but it does cross my mind now and then. I will still continue to ride and drive my cage, but I was just wondering if anyone else gets this feeling now and then?
Yep and its a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Sooner or later, you will be involved in an accident. Its no diff that being in a cage. The diff is that you need to try and minimize the chance of it. The moment you stop thinking about it is the time it could happen and you've increased the chance that it will.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
NATURE OF THE BEAST

Pray before every ride!

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
rfb92345:
no mater how careful you are eventualy it will happen. i.e. enter cloverleaf in winter, shadow of tree on boulevard prevented frost from melting, down you go. i.e. slowing to stop at red light, silly cow psssenger flings open passenger door, grab both brakes, bend car door forward.
All you can do is keep a cool head and do your best to save the situation as best you can. BTW adrenalin makes it easy to yank bike back up.
Barry

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I think that it is a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Keeps you riding safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts