Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I bought a 05 V1600 Classic and the only problem with this purchase is...I haven't gotten to ride it yet. Four days before I was going to go pick up the bike I separated my shoulder playing rugby and now I am on week two of a 3-6 week recovery time. I guess the moral of this story...getting hurt during riding season, especially as gorgeous as it has been here for the last 2 weeks, really sucks. And don't expect your friends to feel sorry for you, they call me to go riding everyday knowing darn well that I can't.

Happy riding everyone and I will post some pictures when I finally get to take it out!

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I posted a couple of weeks ago that I bought a 05 V1600 Classic and the only problem with this purchase is...I haven't gotten to ride it yet. Four days before I was going to go pick up the bike I separated my shoulder playing rugby and now I am on week two of a 3-6 week recovery time. I guess the moral of this story...getting hurt during riding season, especially as gorgeous as it has been here for the last 2 weeks, really sucks. And don't expect your friends to feel sorry for you, they call me to go riding everyday knowing darn well that I can't.

Happy riding everyone and I will post some pictures when I finally get to take it out!
Wanna go for a ride tomorrow :biggrin:

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
I'm going for a ride now .......you comin' ?:wink:

P.S. I went throught this last year ...I feel your pain ..

·
Registered
522 Posts
A terrible thing, you have my sympathies too m8.

Rugby, in Kentucky (is it ), i'd never of thought that 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Be a MAN, go ridin :biggrin:

I started one ride in New Hampster. Crashed on Pine Ridge SD, breaking 3 ribs. From there i rode to Cal, then to Fla, then to Arkansas, all banged up...

1 thing is it hurt, another is I ain't very bright, but i didn't have another place to go crawl up under a log either.

I still have no idea which turn it was that got me into Arkansas. :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be a MAN, go ridin :biggrin:

I started one ride in New Hampster. Crashed on Pine Ridge SD, breaking 3 ribs. From there i rode to Cal, then to Fla, then to Arkansas, all banged up...

1 thing is it hurt, another is I ain't very bright, but i didn't have another place to go crawl up under a log either.

I would tough it out and ride, but one I don't wanna do anything stupid and wreck my new bike, and two I am on light duty at work and I'm sure they wouldn't want me riding if I can't work.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It started snowing Christmas eve. There was snow on the ground all the way past February 19th. That was the day I had Rotater cup surgery AND the day after I got my new riding jacket. The Tuesday after my surgery the snow all melted and went away, but I didn't get a chance to get back on my bike till two weeks ago, when of course it started raining.

I know exactly how you feel....

I don't know about the separated shoulder but for me it was the fact that having something go wrong before I was cleared to go ride could actually mean shoulder problems and no riding for the rest of my life as apposed to just missing out on a month or two. Rode Monday through Wednesday this week. It's raining again till probably Tuesday. Spring Fling in Eureka Springs is less than a Month away. My shoulder is back and ready for it and my PT guy says there's not much more he can do for me that time alone won't fix now, I'm a model patient.

Somewhere around December they tell me my shoulder will feel like I've never had an operation, though when the weather changes I imagine I'll have that broken bone ache for a couple years yet.

Not so bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It started snowing Christmas eve. There was snow on the ground all the way past February 19th. That was the day I had Rotater cup surgery AND the day after I got my new riding jacket. The Tuesday after my surgery the snow all melted and went away, but I didn't get a chance to get back on my bike till two weeks ago, when of course it started raining.

I know exactly how you feel....

I don't know about the separated shoulder but for me it was the fact that having something go wrong before I was cleared to go ride could actually mean shoulder problems and no riding for the rest of my life as apposed to just missing out on a month or two. Rode Monday through Wednesday this week. It's raining again till probably Tuesday. Spring Fling in Eureka Springs is less than a Month away. My shoulder is back and ready for it and my PT guy says there's not much more he can do for me that time alone won't fix now, I'm a model patient.

Somewhere around December they tell me my shoulder will feel like I've never had an operation, though when the weather changes I imagine I'll have that broken bone ache for a couple years yet.

Not so bad.
I know what you mean about not risking it as I may never ride again. I have been a pretty good patient and no matter how good my shoulder has felt I have willed to not get on my bike yet! Our 4 day vacation ride is in June and I am not doing anything to risk missing that. Luckily its supposed to rain here the next 5-6 days so I won't have to sit at home, look at the sun, and listen to bikes go down the road. I'll be back in the saddle before I know it.

·
USAF
312 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry. Sucks that you have to wait, but like you said you will be riding before you know it. For now, let it heal and make vroom vroom noises when you pass her.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fuzz, For the better part I was joking around. Heal up at home / light duty at work and after you are well there will be that time to ride.

I was 1/2 way across the country, and had no place to go back to, so we stayed going the way were were going. The ribs I broke in August stayed broken till March because i could not stop, and today one of them floats around, and it isn't a good thing.

Doing that takes a lot of fun out of the ride too.

That be a man thing comes from my 30 year old son, telling his year old son, to take it like a man, just after the baby pulled the 'cold' oven door down on himself trying to learn to stand. That was pretty funny.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Did you get it home? Go out and sit on it, start it, and pretend you're riding. How bad is the shoulder? You could try a quick ride around the block. I've never seperated my shoulder, though, so I don't know how serious it is.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A torn rotator cuff hurts bad... In 6 months after the injury if you go to swat at a fly it hurts as bad as the day you injured it, but about after a year the pain goes, untill you get to be ancient. Then everything you ever injured comes back to bite you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I got the bike home alright, yet another test of my ego, calling a friend and asking him to ride my new bike home for me. Its kinda like getting married and sending your new bride home with the best man. Good thing is hes a Harley man and said he really liked the bike! I go to the garage every couple days and let her run and sit on it...its kinda pathetic if you think about it.

Mac I like the baby story, teach 'em young.

·
Ride it! 100% Poser
234 Posts
May not be what you want to hear, but quit playing rugby:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May not be what you want to hear, but quit playing rugby:)
Not what I want to hear at all but trust me, it has been highly recommended by my employer that rugby stay out of my future.:frown:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I haven't officially been cleared by my doctor but my shoulder feels good and strong and I finally got out on my bike. Its a big change from my 750 but I have had it out a couple times now and I am slowly getting comfortable with it (parking lots are great for that!) I would have some pictures up but my wife went to work with the camera today!

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
be careful!
I bought my bike, then had massive rotater cuff surgery. destroyed 3 of the 4 muscles.
Doc wouldn't let me out of the sling for almost 9 months.

take it easy, you may find there are certain muscle ranges you have no strength

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts

If you ever get off the main highways, Arkansas is a very beautiful state, coming from a guy who doesn't live there. (Did go to school there, though.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts