Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my helmet- is it ruined?

I learned in my MSF class that a helmet is made to withstand one accident. Something as simple as dropping it could take place of this accident. And, you are not supposed to put it on the seat so as to not risk it falling off. Well, mine was hanging on the handlebars... until it fell.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i doubt it-i've banged mine on the garage door a million times -and the handle bar drop
has got me too :lol: - you'll prolly replace it every couple of years anyway :wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unless you just absolutely threw it down, I'm guessin' it should be fine, but I'd look at getting a new one after a couple of months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I just finished shopping for new Helmets for my wife and I and asked the question of dropping a helmet. The " One Time Use" is really referring to the inside of the helmet much more than the outside. The internal padding does not have "memory" as does soft foam. When your head collides with the inside of the helmet the foam no longer has the protective quality it did before your "grape" impacted it. That's the one time use reasoning. However, if you dropped your helmet from the top of the refrigerator, the outer shell could be damaged and the impact would no longer be dispaced over a greater area as it is designed to do. Dropping it from your bike seat or handlebar most likely did not damage the structural integrity of the helmet. I must say that THESE ARE NOT MY WORDS so please don't rely simply on my words for your own safety. Take a really close look at the outer shell (outside) of the helmet to make sure there are not any hairline cracks. The fella at the bike shop told me that it's best practice to get a new helmet every 5 years, or immediately following an accident. He said this should be done regardless if I purchase his gear or not so I believe he wasn't trying to get more business.

Anyway, that's what I learned only 2 days ago, so perhaps this will help in your contemplation of buying a new one or not.

Cruise Safe,

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
helmet inspection

I had an incident several years back and sent my BELL back to the factory with the cost of return delivery...they not only sent me a NEW helmet but a really nice letter telling me that it was nearly time to replace it anyway...so they did... Dropping it will most likely NOT hurt the helmet...it's the inside that is the primary absorb-er of shock in an accident...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts