Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it is how you use it. At least as far as bikes go (and I hope in other things too :redface:).

Some of you already know I have been considering buying a Mean Streak 1600 next spring. I had not considered one until one of the salesmen at the bike dealership said he rides one and loves it.

I went there a couple days ago on my new Versys to pick up a new pair of gloves. While I was there the salesman showed up on his Meanie. He asked how I was liking my new bike and I told him I loved it but was wanting a cruiser too. I mentioned to him how a person on the board said I already had a bike that would outperform the Meanie so I should go for the 900 Custom instead (the other bike I am considering). To my suprise he agreed.

After talking a few minutes I mentioned I was going to stop at a local paintball shop next and he said that was on his way home.

We ended up taking a ride out towards Battleground (for those familiar with the PDX/Vanc area). There is a stretch of road that consists of about a 1/4+ mile straight away followed by a couple of miles of nice curves before staightening out for a couple miles.

He told me he was going to be moving and I should too. To my suprise I smoked him when we hit the 1/4+ mile stretch. We were doing about 50 when we hit it and I ended up at a registered 114mph before slowing for the oncoming curves.

When we hit the big curves I quickly lost sight of him. On the lighter and more nimble Versys I was able to hold the inside of each curve with ease while doing a pace well over the posted limit (not that I would ever recommend speeding). By the time I was to the second straight away I had to pull into parking lot and wait for him to catch up for a minute or two. This is really a testimate to the versys when you consider that I am a very average rider skill wise.

After we got to the paintball shop we had a few minutes to talk. I told him I thought he was letting me get ahead of him. He said he did not and that the Versys would smoke the meanie in a drag race any day and on winding roads. He said even though the versys is only a 650 and his bike is a 1600 that the Versys just uses it's power different and is smaller and more agile. He said the Meanie did not even put out that much more horse power but it was set up to shine in different areas. If we had been two up on the highway he would be cruising along with power to spare while the versys was screaming to keep up.

That is where the meanie really shines. The meanie would not be much faster but it could maintain that speed more easily without straining. Meaning he could maintain the same speed at a lower RPM and with a smoother ride while carrying more weight.

It really amazes me what the manufacturers are able to get out of these smaller engines these days.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
I can out accelerate my wife's Mean Streak when I'm on my 650R, but if I'm behind her and she hits it hard then it is obvious that the Mean Streak has power. I just don't catch up as fast as I think I should. Of course if I'm on the 'Busa it's a different story all together.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
You should ride with iSpeed on his Meanie someday...............;)

I do like the Versys though. Their are a few in town now, and they seme to begaining in popularity here as well.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I can attest to the comparison you are doing. I have both a 650R and a 1500 classic. The 650 runs circles around the bigger bike. Top end is better too. I hit 115 on the highway on the way to work today. I've never been able to coax the classic over 105. the 650 still had some pull left too.

...it is how you use it. At least as far as bikes go (and I hope in other things too :redface:).

Some of you already know I have been considering buying a Mean Streak 1600 next spring. I had not considered one until one of the salesmen at the bike dealership said he rides one and loves it.

I went there a couple days ago on my new Versys to pick up a new pair of gloves. While I was there the salesman showed up on his Meanie. He asked how I was liking my new bike and I told him I loved it but was wanting a cruiser too. I mentioned to him how a person on the board said I already had a bike that would outperform the Meanie so I should go for the 900 Custom instead (the other bike I am considering). To my suprise he agreed.

It really amazes me what the manufacturers are able to get out of these smaller engines these days.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
thought you wanted the cruiser style ????? if you were looking for speed and handling I am sure the versys would be right on or better than the meanie . The versys would probably outperform the 900 in any given category also except for 2 up riding

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
You should ride with iSpeed on his Meanie someday...............;)

QUOTE]

I'll second that! twisties or straight!!! :lol:
He added pipes and an intake to his Meanie, which *really* opens that bike up. My wife has a Meanie and it's very sluggish compared to David's. Was your bud's stock?

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
I can attest to the comparison you are doing. I have both a 650R and a 1500 classic. The 650 runs circles around the bigger bike. Top end is better too. I hit 115 on the highway on the way to work today. I've never been able to coax the classic over 105. the 650 still had some pull left too.
But not much. The 650R really runs out of steam if you go any higher. It seems to enjoy the run up to 100, but after that it's a bit of a struggle. By 120 the bike is really working hard to keep moving. It'll go faster, but you better have a REALLY long road... :biggrin:

Fun bike though. I just wish it had a better saddle. The comfort factor is what will eventually drive me to trade the bike off. Other than that - I love it.

If the wife didn't already have a Mean Streak I might seriously consider that as my second bike. But for grins, she did take the 650R out a few weeks ago. Put about 140 miles on it and said she had fun!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sure its the style of bike very often.
My Yami R1 is faster than my GL1800.
Sure the 1800 ccmotor accelerates slower than the measly 1000 cc motor, but its two totally different beasts.
I can and have done 11,000 kms in 13 days, while 2 up on the Wing, and was comfy as could be.....try that on the R1.

My kx 250 will out accelerate a versys, and is way less than half the displacement though.

But again two totally different bikes.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
But not much. The 650R really runs out of steam if you go any higher. It seems to enjoy the run up to 100, but after that it's a bit of a struggle. By 120 the bike is really working hard to keep moving. It'll go faster, but you better have a REALLY long road... :biggrin:

Fun bike though. I just wish it had a better saddle. The comfort factor is what will eventually drive me to trade the bike off. Other than that - I love it.

If the wife didn't already have a Mean Streak I might seriously consider that as my second bike. But for grins, she did take the 650R out a few weeks ago. Put about 140 miles on it and said she had fun!
One of these days when I have a good lonely road I'm going to give it a try. Tuck in behind the screen and see how it goes. It gets there faster than my old VX did though.

I'd look at fixing the seat before I get rid of the 650. In fact, I was thinking that on the way home from work this evening. The seat tends to push me forward, so I'm thinking about shaving it a little and see if I can dial it in.

I love my R! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He added pipes and an intake to his Meanie, which *really* opens that bike up. My wife has a Meanie and it's very sluggish compared to David's. Was your bud's stock?
I believe his was pretty stock. I am not that familiar with the Meanie in it's stock form. He did say something about changing the pipes but I do not really remember the details.

I think the main thing that gives a bike like the Versys an advantage in a situation like this has little do with the horsepower but more to do with weight, wheelbase, and balance.

I still like the Meanie but that occurence does make me think that the things the Meanie is best at are things I would never use it for, such as two up riding on the highway and extended extreme high spped cruising. I would probably use my Versys for longer highway trips since I love how it feels and handles on the open road.

That makes me think that 900 Custom might suit my needs better. It would give me that cruiser feel but be better suited to the in-city, backroad, sunday afternoon driving I would be using it for most of the time.

If it was to be my only bike I would take the Meanie for sure, but since it will be a second bike I am leaning towards the 900 custome in candy lime green, but it still hard to resist a big muscle machine like the Meanie even though it is way more than I need.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The meanie is the best handling CRUISER out there. So backroads are fun , its definitely not a touring or two up machine unless you convert it to being one. I ride mine when I want to take a spirited pace but I am not look to scream through the twisties and basically its my poser bike . I like just to cruise and hear my pipes and the way the black and chrome shine its got nothing to do with anything else. My zx12 wil outperform it on all avenues except 2 up riding and I had to buy a different seat for that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts