Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my oil filter off no matter what i do. i just want to make sure that you turn it counterclockwise, because it will not even budge turning it counterclockwise. it is the dealer installed filter.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
That happened with me an my Ninja 650R!!

The Boy (my son who is studying to be a mechanic) says go to Sears or Shucks or other auto parts store and get a good pair of oil filter pliers.

Yes, counterclockwise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have never seen reverse thread oil filter. I use pliers that are just for oil filters. They have a curved jaw and wrap well aroound the filter. Got them at the local autoparts store.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Counterclockwise. You may have to spear it with a screwdriver.
A word of caution about piercing it. If you can't get it off and you need to take it back to the dealer, you'll have to haul it in since you won't be able to crank it or oil will go everywhere.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Ahhhhh.... The ol' screwdriver method. Practiced by the shadetree mechanics since the dawn of the internal combustion engine. :lol:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Several types of oil filter wrecnchs out there. I had the same troubles as you discribe getting off my dealer installed filter. I have an oil filter wrench as discribed but it wouldnt budge it. I ended up using a very large pair of channel lock pliers. I have had a pair of these things for years. Not many oil filters cause me a delay in changing oil with these baby's. Have had to use them after an oil change at one of those "quick lube" type joints before on the car to. Idunno some of those folks must figure its holding the crank in or something.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got it off. I tried the channel locks and they just ended up punching a hole in the filter, so i just punched a huge screwdrive thru it and finally got the **** thing off what a pain that was. never had trouble like that before. i usually don't have the dealer change the oil but did last time.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Mighty Hunter! I've had to do that occasionally. The vibrations of the engine must tighten it up-- I never overtighten my filters but the one on the bike is always **** tight when I go to change it.

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
I've posted this before, but here it is again...

Put it over the filter, screw the screw into the side with a long-shaft screwdriver & take that sucker off.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I can't get my oil filter off no matter what i do. i just want to make sure that you turn it counterclockwise, because it will not even budge turning it counterclockwise. it is the dealer installed filter.
Ah yes you must have a 900. The incredible hulk works on the 900 line. Walmart has a pair of plier type oil wrench that works well. Turn counterclock wise and good luck. Good news is it is only tough the first time. I guarantee you wont over tighten it.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Ah yes you must have a 900. The incredible hulk works on the 900 line. Walmart has a pair of plier type oil wrench that works well. Turn counterclock wise and good luck. Good news is it is only tough the first time. I guarantee you wont over tighten it.
I thought it was Inga, the no-neck buxom Swedish broad, that worked on the 900 line. Didn't they move the hulk over to the V2K line 2 yrs ago? :-D

·
Line rider
326 Posts
When putting the new filter on dip your finger in some fresh oil and run it around the rubber seal. This will help with removal next time.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
I thought godzilla was on the line myself.
Nah, he got moved over to the sport bikes, the C14 guys being manly-men and all. I think Inga Svensen is doing the mid-cruisers now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts