Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have car insurance, home owners and until yesterday, motorcycle insurance thru GEICO. Insurance on the bikes was $1250/yr. Yesterday we switched to Foremost Insurance from AARP and our yearly insurance is $423/yr for both bikes. Without the AARP discount, Foremost is $469/yr for 2 bikes. I can't believe the big difference! By the way, our deductables are less and we have twice as much coverage and towing. You really have to shop around!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's such BS though! It all depends on your individual situation. They like to nail us 24 yr old males. (yes, clean driving history)
$700 / year. Isn't that bull?
Maybe it'll go down next year when I hit 25.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's such BS though! It all depends on your individual situation. They like to nail us 24 yr old males. (yes, clean driving history)
Just think, I was paying over $600/yr and i'm over 50 :shock: Shop around!

·
Registered
106 Posts
well I am almost 40 I am paying a little under $700 a year however I have the maximum amounts on my insurance and lowest possible deductibles, I could get it down to a couple of hundred a year if I was will to sacrafice a little but with 4 kids I can't afford to be underinsured. I am also through Foremost, but I should add in Texas they started requiring additional coverage due to no helmet law, too bad I can't get a discount since I always wear one.

·
Who's that guy?
88 Posts
Im 21, paying only $150 a year, actually started the plan with them when I was 20.

this is with dairyland motorcycle insurance! no problems, recommended by a riding friend of mine. had the best quote, and right coverage...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recently insured a 96 GPZ 1100 for $95 a year, with just basic laibility, & insurance for uninsured drivers, plus theft insurance. I figure if I go down I would eat the cost of fixing, by finding a parts bike & rebuilding either it or the parts bike, but I did chose to cover it in case when I travel if someone stole it.

I chose not to worry about towing or the like as I can get it hauled anytime I need it as I have a couple trucks.

I am 43, no tickets of any kind in the last 10 years, & I live in rural mountains of Virginia. through Progressive

Later,
Randy

·
Godan Hooligan
203 Posts
$350/ yr for full coverage on a 04 ZRX 1200 through Rider (NJ).

Mike

·
Santa Ana, CA
99 Posts
You might find even cheaper insurance if you go to an insurance broker, who will charge an initial broker fee. However, subsequent renewals have roughly half the cost and there are also discounts included. My previous insurance was about $216/year with GEICO to insure my Ninja 650R. When I changed locations, it went up to about $260 for the same coverage--just because I was storing it at another zip code.

I went online and found a broker, which was able to give me the same covereage (liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage), for around $230. At renewal the broker fee had dropped off and they included a loyalty discount.

Current premium is $175/year for:
- Liability: 25/50k bodily injury, 15k property damage
- Uninsured motorist: 15/30k bodily injury, 3.5k prop damage

I think the premium is low because I've had my M1 for over 3 years now and am over 25 years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have progressive for my insurance and i pay about 200 bucks a year. they were the best people to talk with and best rates i could find hands down.. I have full coverage and I also have 3k in accesories insurance. pm me for specifics on the policy but i think they are great to work with so far.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yes it is bull but you are paying for the 24 yr olds that have bad driving records. Ins. co lump age groups together and charge all based on the records of some, with no consideration of personel records. Ins. co. are not here to insure you but to make money. They do it by ins. you.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
my premium is $76/year (the state minimum) with USAA-Progressive. Coverage is
25/50/25 liability and comprehensive coverage. Includes roadside assistance and
$3,000 accessory coverage.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Geico is best for me, get super discounts cause car ins is with them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Geico is best for me, get super discounts cause car ins is with them

Quote: Originally Posted by nadman
I've had insurance with most of the insurers listed in this thread, I have found that Markel American Insurance co. is a lot less than all those listed. Motorcycle Insurance: Customized Motorcycle Insurance Quotes: Markel for fast free quotes or call 1-800-236-2453 all it takes is a few minutes an you will know.
I just checked with Markel for a quote. I am paying ~ $282 now from Allstate. Markel's quote for similar coverage comes in at $554. Progressive is at $333. Geico at $398 (with lower medical payment) Foremost's quote for the same coverage was $532..

ABATE here in Indiana and their carrier's insurance rates (Underwood Agency/Grange Insurance) are $257!!! Allstate offer ~$24 off for the MSF course--so the 2 are pretty comparable, I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a new bike and insured with Progressive, because I have Home and Auto with USAA and when I went to their site for a quote it re-directed me to Progressive. The premium for decent full coverage limits was $391/year. I would have stayed with them; but, due to a "glitch" in their computer system it would not hold the letter "G" in my VIN#, it automatically changed it to a "C". Long story short, after a letter from Progressive stating my VIN# did not match the State DMV records, 3 phone calls and a letter from the State saying my insurance had been reported as cancelled (which it hadn't); I fired Progressive and went with Dairyland Cycle. Got MUCH better coverage for $300/year.
As a former Insurance Agent; unfortunately the insurance companies rates on age, type of bike, driving record and in most cases credit history. Younger, especially male drivers, are rated as a much higher risk; thus the outrageous premiums.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the OPs statement. Last weekend when I purchased my bike I was looking around for insurance and it's amazing on how much difference there can be in price between different companies. Dairyland wanted to charge me $1,800 for a year of full coverage to where I got a full year of full coverage with better coverage at Nationwide for $780 a year. Geico was high, and Progressive was pretty low but I have heard too many horror stories about Progressive to feel comfortable enough to give them my money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts