Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's coming up to a year since I sold my VN800 Bobber which you all got to see getting built step by step, and since then I've built a killer hardcore Triumph Bobber, but I have to admit that I really really miss the ride of the Kawasaki. Not because it had suspension where my current ride is rigid, it's actually not that different, but vintage bikes are just a handful to ride and maintain and don't like highway speeds.

Obviously there are things I like more about this bike being a true hardcore rigid Chopper but the ride quality is not one of them, I really miss being able to just hop on and ride as hard and fast as I liked for as long as a liked without a care in the world. You guys definitely have it better than you realise :smile:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I would recommend that you buy a VN 900 Classic and bob it, with lots of photos of work in progress. This site needs its skitzophrenia back. :D

Keep the Triumph though.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, El Skitzo says he built a Triumph bobber, but I don't see any pictures (and I'd really like to), so I guess IT NEVER HAPPENED!
I didn't want to start putting pictures of a non-Kawasaki in a Kawasaki forum...

I must admit I really enjoyed going through the "Show off your Bobbers" thread from start to finish again last night, some great projects in there!

Oh you wanted a few pictures?

·
Project Bobber
450 Posts
love it, the style, the paint..... and a proper British motor..!!

I'd love get my VN800 looking similar style to that, but guess I'm a good few years off your skills yet Skitzo.

Do you do your own paint?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love get my VN800 looking similar style to that, but guess I'm a good few years off your skills yet Skitzo.
Yeah well that's what I was trying to do with my last one too, but local road laws down here meant I had to keep all the indicators and other junk, so there was no way my VN800 was going to end up as cool, stripped down and hardcore as say Alley Rat's bikes. But this Trumpy is vintage so I didn't legally need all that stuff this time, so I don't even have a battery in this one!

Do you do your own paint?
No, I used the same painter that did my VN800, although we just did straight colored metal flake this time (and real big stuff), no candy. I did use a different pin striper this time around and I much prefer his work.

Oh and I used the same trimmer for the seat that I used last time too.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Wow! That's a great job. You should post up a couple of the "before" shots again so people can see how much better it is. When I saw those first shots I thought, "the bloke truly is mad to give up his VN bobber for that" but you've definitely worked the magic on it. Nice. 8)

·
Project Bobber
450 Posts
Yeah well that's what I was trying to do with my last one too, but local road laws down here meant I had to keep all the indicators and other junk, so there was no way my VN800 was going to end up as cool, stripped down and hardcore as say Alley Rat's bikes. .
We are the same here, the fun police would be all over me unless I have enough lights and switches, I swear they think these things are airplanes!!

I'm going to ditch them all anyway, but not sure how to pass the MOT's we have to have to be at least certified as road legal!!

And I totally agree.....we need some before shots on here for the full appreciation of the trumpet please!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I saw those first shots I thought, "the bloke truly is mad to give up his VN bobber for that" but you've definitely worked the magic on it. Nice. 8)
LOL, that what people who knew me thought when I first bought my VN800, going from Hot Rods and Muscle Cars to a new Jap bike, they almost disowned me :lol:

This one didn't start out too different really, just changed a few details, like the gas tank, seat, handlebars and risers, tail light and tyres, ditched the front fender and the speedo. Don't know why it all took so long...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.