Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any othe petcocks will fit this tank and work.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
just get the correct one, gas leaking on your leg by a HOT motor is not good. im sure you can find a salvage yard on the net.
so whats wrong with yours that you need to replace it ? :?: if its leaking you can prob. get a rebuild kit for it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
a few miles south in the city of Lynnwood, Wa, there is a place called Bent Bike. You can find them on the web with a google search. They might have just about anything you need

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
the petcock is the fuel valve on the tank that allows the gas to flow into the engine. It has the reserve, on and off settings

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you have a fuel injected bike - stop looking for it as you don't have one!

·
Registered
629 Posts
My Ninja 1000's petcock was leaking at the seal between the two plates. Most likely it is the diaphragm (sp) and you can get one for about $10.00. Or by a rebuild kit.

Also, check the rubber ring where the petcock meets the tank, it could be too old and needs replacing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am currently rebuilding my ex500 so i had to get another tank and it came without the petcock. i would check with a salveage yard but there just are none in my traveling radius (i live in illinois. chicagoland area) and the salvage yards round year have precious few bikes parts available.

but there was this old kawasaki crusier and iwas wondering if parts were interchangeable across the kawasaki platform in general?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
tokes99 said:
but there was this old kawasaki crusier and iwas wondering if parts were interchangeable across the kawasaki platform in general?
unless it has the SAME petcock its not gonna be compatible. you could ask your dealer to cross reference the part # and see all the bikes that use the same petcock.
good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a used '90 ex500 and I also had some trouble with my petcock leaking (chuckle).

I just ordered a new unit through my dealer for $60. So yeah I paid a bit more, but I didn't have to replace pieces that may or not have fixed the problem, which is usually my luck.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can almost have a for sure bet that on older bikes you will just need to replace all the gaskets. Cures most of the issues with a leaky petcock, but I applaud your one time fix and move on if you have the money to do so.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Dealers/ ordering

IF you had gone through Beartooth Kawasaki you could have replaced the valve and bought the repair kit and returned what you didn't need...Thy have excellent prices and a discount for Forum members Beartooth Kawasaki 1 800 556 3098

1 - 12 of 12 Posts