Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I need some help with a problem I am having.

Motorcycle: 1998 FZR 600

I took off my tail light and moved it up some and when I was reconnecting my tail light I connected a negative wire to a positive one and blew out my main (30) fuse. I changd th fuse and everything worked fine then I rode it to work and when I came out nothing would start and nothing would work except my tail light. I tried push starting it and it wouldnt start. I now noticed that when I hold in the front brake lever the neutral light lights up very faintly, the horn still wont work, the starter will turn over but the bike wont start, the front lights also faintly light up. So what should I do?

I dont know that much about motorcycles but I think one of my wires must be disconnected somewhere but I have no idea why those lights and my starter get a little power when I hold in the front brake. I also think that the bike wont start because the plugs arent firing but I dunno. Thanks for any help

·
Thats a Kawasaki?
220 Posts
Electrical problems are a whole separate demon.
If you don't have a voltmeter, get one, and start checking connections. The damage may have gotten passed the fuse. Check all of your fuses and then turn your key to on and start checking connections. You may have shorted some vital components out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Could be a problem at the ignition switch. Sometimes I'll have to jiggle the key a bit on my EX to get it to "stick" into the ON position.

But... it's more than likely not that simple and sounds like you will have to take okplayer's advice.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
If you smoked a 30A fuse that means there was a lot higher current than that flowing for a brief amount of time. That could have burned the contacts of the ignition switch or connectors in the harness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts