Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing an almost new 2006 650R with low miles on it. But here's the problem that I don't really know how to approach. The bike has sat so long, that he can't get it to start, even with a new battery. I could get the bike at a great price, but I have no real good ideas how to get it started. Are there some tricks that you guys/gals could share as to how to possibly get it started? I'd love to actually hear it run prior to plopping down a few grand. All the lights come on, it turns over, etc - but just won't actually start. Any kind of starting fluid that I could spray somewhere possibly? I don't mind taking chances, but I don't want to do something stupid either. TIA for any possible advice you guys/gals can give.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Agree on a price... tell the fella to take it to a shop to get it started... as soon as it fires up.... you buy it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm considering purchasing an almost new 2006 650R with low miles on it. But here's the problem that I don't really know how to approach. The bike has sat so long, that he can't get it to start, even with a new battery. I could get the bike at a great price, but I have no real good ideas how to get it started. Are there some tricks that you guys/gals could share as to how to possibly get it started? I'd love to actually hear it run prior to plopping down a few grand. All the lights come on, it turns over, etc - but just won't actually start. Any kind of starting fluid that I could spray somewhere possibly? I don't mind taking chances, but I don't want to do something stupid either. TIA for any possible advice you guys/gals can give.
Most bikes that have sat around for a while have problems with the carbs being gummed up, obviously dead batteries and sometimes clogged fuel lines. All of these are relatively easy fixes. What do you mean by low miles? and what do you mean by a GREAT PRICE? People here swear by SeaFoam to help with carb problems.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
< 700 miles. He's asking $4200. probably could get for less. That sounds pretty good to me.

This bike is fuel injected - no carbs - so that's what I'm unsure about. No carb to spray anything into. I'm not sure how to resolve this since it's FI.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Injectors get gummed up just as easily as jets do. Definitely try some seafoam.

I'd try to get the bike cheaper since it's not running. It's practically brand new; it's not like it's a 1980 LTD barn-bike that you're taking a big gamble on. The instant he gets it running I'm sure the price will increase.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
does it even sound like it wants to start ?
Possible it could be flooded have him pull a plug ,check the obvious like fuses he could have done something stupid and blew the main fuse when he installed the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts