Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a 2007 Meany se and i bought a new exhaust (2 into 1 cobra) and a tailgunner(Texas long gun black) a power commander and about 50 bucks worth of paint. well i wanted to have the pipes made longer so it would look cooler on the bike and a deeper sound, they doing the work is the dealer of the tailgunner i was told 2 weeks..........its been 2 months and i was going to get is last night but he went home sick and he is sick today to. on top of it all he just sent the bike to other places he didnt do any of the work so i guess i have to pay this guy becuz he knows a guy.......... grrrrrrrr:mad:

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
sounds like you're in for a lot of heartache and disappointment with your intended mods. Altering pre-fabbed pipes is dicey at best unless you or someone (reliable) you know just happens to be a freakin' wizard at fabbing exhaust systems. And "paint"??? WRONG!!! No matter what "degree" the paint says it'll stand up to, it ain't gonna. Don't kid yourself by trying to do this "on the cheap". Again, you're going to be disappointed in the long run. Get the pipes powdercoated, spend the extra bucks, do it right.

Sorry for your aggravation, but consider it a learning experience and move on and do it properly. Your bike deserves it and trust me, you'll be happier with the results and glad you did.

Good luck,
DS

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Of course! It's good to vent; we all do it and it probably helps keep our sanity! Just throwing words of caution out there so the issue doesn't compound itself.

Peace,
Daryl8)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your help i am going to look in to the powdercoating for it cant be that bad i guess. i'm just tired of waiting. i have missed some good rides becuz of this.
thanks
wedo:)

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I feel ya. It sucks when you're Jones'g to ride and you miss one or two. But, there WILL be other rides, so no sense beating yourself up over it anymore. Go to Plan B... and "git er dun"!!! I think you'll be happier with the powdercoating, too, so maybe this all happened for a reason.

Keep the chin up and the rubber down... "this too shall pass"

Later,
Daryl

·
Registered
588 Posts
PJ1 makes an exhaust paint that resists up to 2000 F. You will need to sandblast the chrome off the pips, but I've heard of some guys having good luck with it. The problem would come in the first couple inches if anywhere, so you can always wrap those if/when the paint peels. Another guy said he uses Rustoleum and heats up the pipes before painting without problems. I'm sure there is a cheap DIY solution.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i have heard that the paint must reach the minimum temp. or it dose not cure dose this sound right ?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It's hard to wait for anything when it comes to our bikes but you've been waiting way too long!!! I hope something gets done soon for you. I'm sure the weather there is beautiful so not riding would only increase the feelings. Hang in there and find someone who can do the job quickly if that's possible.

·
Registered
588 Posts
well i have heard that the paint must reach the minimum temp. or it dose not cure dose this sound right ?
When I was still considering doing it, I read up on it quite a bit. PJ1 says that you have to go through a heating cycle for their paint to cure (something like idle the bike for 5 minutes, let cool, idle the bike for 10 minutes, let cool, drive for 20 minutes, let cool, idle for 5 minutes...or something). Also, you have to cure each coat in its own cycle. Until you cure it, the paint is not set and vulnerable to chemicals.

My plan was to sandblast the pipes, put down some primer, cure, put down some black, cure, put down some clear coat, cure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts