Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i ****ed my bike..

ok well i was jump starting my bike and i was on the phone not paying attention to what i was doing and connected the black to the red and the red to the black and it sparked
now my bikes lights wont turn on and wont start even if trying to jump start...
did i fry the battery or something?
the alternator?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok well i was jump starting my bike and i was on the phone not paying attention to what i was doing and connected the black to the red and the red to the black and it sparked
now my bikes lights wont turn on and wont start even if trying to jump start...
did i fry the battery or something?
the alternator?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If it was just a momentary connection your battery probably isn't hurt any worse than it was. If you were boosting the bike then it seems you already have a problem in the charging system or a bad battery. Most likely the damage, if any, is to fuses and electronics.

Double post so disregard this and stay with the other thread.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how much u think it would take to replace my dumbass mistake haha...
i needed a new batery anyway tho..
but how much is a main fuse?

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Merged threads, carry on.

Oh yeah, and in addition to the fuses, make sure you follow the wires in case there's any fusable links in-line with the wire.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Just pull each fuse one at a time and hold it up to a light. There is a wire shaped like a Z that connects one side to the other. You can see if the wire is melted or not and tell if the fuse needs to be replaced.

P.S. Check the green one first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it says the green and red one on the side are extras?
i just changed all the fuses cuz it was only like 2$
didnt start or nething with the chargernhooked up to it
so what next? i pulled the battery out now and im guna go to kragen to see how much a new one is but is there anynother things i check?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Get the bettery checked or replaced. Some bike just will not start with a low battery. My last GPz would turn over fine and not start when the battery got low, and if it got very low, even the charger wouldn't help. A new battery would usually bring it back in line.

If a battery alone isn't the culprit, you need to get a cheap test light and find where it's dropping the voltage. Could be an inline fusible link or a wire that burnt in two. Not knowing what bike we're talking about, I can't do better than that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright guys i appreciate the help alot
its a 1994 zx6e
i found the green fuse needed replacing and i took the battery to cragen and it didnt even have enuf charge to say how many volts it had left in it
so i put a new bat in and changed the fuse and its startin like a champ now
now i have to sync the carbs and put a new 2nd gear in haha.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
to be sure, get new fuses first, if that fails, get new battery too. if that also fails start looking into new electric systems.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
does the charging system have a diode in it that might be blown take an ohm meter and set it to infinate where the needle swings all the way over when you touch the leads together now touch the hot and ground wires for the alt. with the battery disconected if the needle swings reverse the leads if it still swings youve blown a diode which means your battery will discharge back through the alt. when off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts