Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Harley a few months ago and I thought 'that was that'.

You can tell where this is going. I bought a '64 Ford F100 a few years back to wrench on. I'm not a mechanic but I'm willing to learn.

I thought that would keep me busy...a few weeks ago I got the itch to ride again.

Nothing big or flashy...my Road King was named after Ginger on Gilligan's Island for a reason...I got her new and didn't have the talent to fiddle with her. She actually was a great riding bike...very low maintenance.

I'm looking for a vintage Japanese bike to wrench on.

I like the english BSA A7...I found out this was the basis for my favorite want to get bike...
the 1960's Kawasaki W1 &2...

I also like the Honda CB 450...Yamaha xs650...something a newbie can handle.

rtc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The twins tend to vibrate if that's important. I like the fours personally because they don't vibrate and usually have more hp. I picked up my 85ZN700 ten years ago now with only 1,054 miles on it. It's a simple bike. The hardest thing about working on it I've found so far is disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle cables to the carbs when I have to clean the carbs. Solution to that is ride it often enough they don't clog up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The twins tend to vibrate if that's important. I like the fours personally because they don't vibrate and usually have more hp. I picked up my 85ZN700 ten years ago now with only 1,054 miles on it. It's a simple bike. The hardest thing about working on it I've found so far is disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle cables to the carbs when I have to clean the carbs. Solution to that is ride it often enough they don't clog up!
Thanks for the info...I was sticking to twins...or a sweet deal on a single...mostly for my lack of any mechanical skill.

I didn't know fours were smoother. Are triples smooth too?

I only have 12 years riding experience on a HD RK....I didn't know there was a difference.

Thanks,

rtc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I started riding in 1971 on a 71 Honda CB350 which is a parallel twin. It's a great starter bike. After riding it for a while my hands felt sort of like they were knumb from the high frequency vibration. Then I bought a CB750 four. It was so smooth in comparison. Many years passed and I started riding again on a 83 Yamaha Virago 750 v-twin. It was a good bike but I didn't like the vibration or the lack of power compared to a four. After that, I decided that I wouldn't buy any more twins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts