Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a bmw 540i. and it's a 1994.. it's a v8, 4.5 liters.. i need to sell it for a bike that gives me atleast 55+ mpg and i want the bike to be a 250cc, i want to beable to get atleast 80mph on it on freeway and it has to be cheap... and have awesome gas milage.

thx what bike should i get? i heard 250's or w/e.. ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but you could go with a ninja 250r (nice bike, good gas mileage) and they are very cheap (New & Used) and hold their value fairly well. A used ninja 500r would be priced fairly well, good mileage AND it would probably do better on the highway than the 250. I'm still new, but I think some people on here will back me up or give you some other feedback to consider.

For the next person, you might want to give some more details. Do you have any experience? Do you have your license? Have you taken the safety course? Are you wanting a cruiser or a sport bike? Do you have a brand preference (Kawasaki maybe?)? Possibly a price range for the bike, are you looking for new or used? (Brand new will be higher on insurance...I was quoted $250/yr difference from a 2009 to a 2010 kawi ninja 650r).

Also, for mpg - Motorcycle Fuel Economy Guide

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
When I owned my Ninja 250 (2004 model) I got 68-69 mpg on a regular basis just commuting around town. The previous owner had changed the sprocket ratio and I don't know what the gearing was but you could look around the Ninja 250 wiki to get an idea of your options. Of course your weight and riding habits will be a factor in your mileage. The 250 is a fun bike and not just for beginners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i have my license, and our dmv we just have to take a simple motorsports endorsement all they do is watch u stop and turn and basic skills, im 18.. im 6'4 6'5 215.. i play for a triple a team in washington and my bmw get's literally 15mph and 20mph if best on highways it's horibble and eating all my gas money

and i dont have a girl or anything so i dont really care about a car i just need freakn i heard it gets 60mpg that is so epic omg... save me so much $$ omg

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Buying a bike to save money on fuel is a false economy.
It will cost you more in the long run than a cheaper more fuel efficient car.
There are many used bikes available with low mileage because people think it's a cheap alternative but then discover the other costs.
You need to look at all the costs involved, not just financial, and see how it fits into your life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying a bike to save money on fuel is a false economy.
It will cost you more in the long run than a cheaper more fuel efficient car.
There are many used bikes available with low mileage because people think it's a cheap alternative but then discover the other costs.
You need to look at all the costs involved, not just financial, and see how it fits into your life.
hey bro i think it's better then a 15miles per gallon bmw, oh wait my oxygen sensor is broke, so maybe 13miles per gallon, thanks 4 ur help tho

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
My Wife's Honda Rebel 250 gets about 95 miles to the gallon, but I wouldn't take it on any interstates personally. It will do it, but it is a bit scary. The ninja gets less mileage but does fine on the big highway. Insurance is extremely cheap on both bikes and maintanence is cheap if you turn your own wrenches. If you pay a dealership or mechanic for oil changes and the like, you really would be better off with a 4 wheel vehicle. Oil changes on the rebel run over $250 around here, but cost me about $5 since I do them myself. Just sayin......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts