Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an 1979 kz 750 Kawasaki that has not been running in ten years. I got it started last night but was extremely hard, and ran ruff when idling. I did all the normal stuff cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, spark plugs. The compression was 8.5 on both sides. I do not Know if this up to spec. The air intake has been modified, the air box has been removed and two kenith air-filters are in its place. The spark looks week but is visible. Any ideas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that 8.5 = 120psi

I think that 8.5 = 120psi . Cleaning the points is a grate idea. I will try that tonight. I did look at the spark plugs the left side is slightly fouled right side is perfect. This might sound stupid but do you oil street bike air-filters?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I cleaned the points and the bike is now ride-able. :lol: However if you set the idle to 800_rpms and give it a quick rap on the throttle it will die. The engine hesitates a bit if you crack it wide open. While riding under hard acceleration it backfires lightly, steady backfiring during down sifting. I pulled the plugs after a 5min ride both looked perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Air Box Mod

I have removed my air box and installed pods. My bike acctually seems to run a little better now. The only problem I have now is that when it is a cold damp morning, It seems to spit a little extra gas out the cranckcase emission line. By the way, if you haven't done so, replace your 3/4" emission line and strap it to the frame and run it out the bottom of your frame somewhere behind the swing arm pivot. As far as the backfiring goes, that sounds more like a carb diaphram and jet issue. One thing with pods is that they can be rough on carbs, even more so if they are worn. I will tell you this, if you don't really know what your doing, tuning inline 4's is a royal pain. Best bet is to find an older bike racer and see where they direct you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts