Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 Ninja 650 on which I was cruising about 70 mph down a windy road here in Houston, Texas, and all of a sudden my rear tire locked up. It seemed like it took ten minutes to stop and in the process the rear end of the bike went from one side to the other. Thank God I was able to keep it upright. The bike is new so I figured the motor had seized up and was glad I have a warranty. However, when I started analyzing the situation I found that my large storage bag which was strapped on behind me had somehow got jammed between the rear tire and the fender. I appears no damage was done to the bike, but I lost my keys and my I-Phone along with some clothing, my lunch (I was going to work), and some Cd's. But, considering what could have happened, I can live with the loss of these items.

I believe from now on it will be a backpack for me! Of course I might get a tank bag; something I can keep my eyes on. :)

·
Freshman
628 Posts
Wow, glad you kept it up. The important thing is you are fine. The material things can be replaced.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Glad you are okay.

Please check the rear tire for a flat spot.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This is a good safety lesson for all of us! Glad you were able to keep it up!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you are okay.

Please check the rear tire for a flat spot.
I was concerned about that, but it doesn't vibrate or shake. All I found was a scuffed up area which, I believe, will wear smooth over the next few miles.

I was certainly glad that the abrupt stop in the motor didn't damage anything, but although to me it was a sudden stop, I imagine it took a second or two for the jammed luggage to actually stop the tire and likewise the motor. Then there is the clutch which I imagine absorbed some of the shock.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well great thing you are safe. I have cortech sport saddle bags and a tail duffel and a tank bag that work great for hauling my stuff. Not a fan of a back pack. I seen a guy who had one on when he wrecked and he landed on his back and it broke his back. No permanent damage but that got me thinking I would rather slide on the plates in my jacket than a back pack with my Navy flight boots in it.

Last road trip I even bungeed my back pack over top the tail bag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well great thing you are safe. I have cortech sport saddle bags and a tail duffel and a tank bag that work great for hauling my stuff. Not a fan of a back pack. I seen a guy who had one on when he wrecked and he landed on his back and it broke his back. No permanent damage but that got me thinking I would rather slide on the plates in my jacket than a back pack with my Navy flight boots in it.
I guess there is not sure fire way to know exactly what could happen in every situation.

if I had a pack designed to fit my Ninja 650r or saddlebags I believe that would be alright, but to just try to make on fit where it doesn't, like I did, can be disastrous.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lucky man. I'm a big fan of tank bags providing all you want to carry are lightweight items, they come cheap, £20 in the UK, must be about the same in the US. Get one !.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Those Cortech bags fasten down pretty good. I have even stuck the straps under my seat so the bags are locked when I am running around places I don't feel like making them easy to take off. I had a friend with an Aprilia that had the same set I bought and he let me try them on my bike before I bought them. I can attest to them staying put over 100 mph. (Now I have incriminated myself)

·
Ninja500 Xpert
140 Posts
Yeah if I'm carrying any items, food, clothing, groceries, etc... i always wear a backpack. Just make sure it's not a crappy backpack, need something that won't hurt your back; something with good padding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts