Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out walking with my son this afternoon (trying to lower my blood pressure) when two morons went blowing past us on a busy residential road (speed limit 35) and they had to be doing 100+. In fact they went by so fast I couldn't even see what kind of bikes they were.(although neither were lime green) I kept hoping to see a cop in pursuit but no such luck. I calmy explained to my 16 year-old son that they were certainly not riding their scooters in an intelligent manner and he agreed that it wasn't too smart. He has indicated an interest in learning to ride so I needed to make sure he understood that their antics were foolish and the reason insurance rates are so high and why the death rate of young men on fast bikes is as high as it is. They were going so fast that if someone in a cage had pulled out in front of them, the laws of physics would dictate that there would be now way to stop in time and they would have become one with the cage faster than you could say: How do you like my new header? How do we squash this kind of mental midgetry???? Everyone likes to wind up their scooter occasionally, but think about the possible consequences. The MSF class only goes so far... Anybody got an answer, other than the death of these bozos??

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
How do we squash this kind of mental midgetry???? Everyone likes to wind up their scooter occasionally, but think about the possible consequences. The MSF class only goes so far... Anybody got an answer, other than the death of these bozos??
Sadly, you answered your own question.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
unfortunatly, their death/injury usualy involves someone else's as well, not that I have an answer but it does P me O.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Hopefully, for every one injured or killed, maybe there's two that will "grow up" and ride responsibly...

...but I think I'm being optimistic. I've chatted with some who have been seriously injured, and rather than taking the racing and stunting to the track where it belongs, they have simply loaded up on better gear and continue on the street.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Sad that someone else might pay for their stupidity....My street can get filled with kids playing, riding motorized scooters (no helmet) but its a hill so they ride slow. Also a turn at the top that people take rather fast at times. Some of the neighbors have lost their cars from parking on the street. Mostly cruisers around here ridden by older guys and they have kids too so most have respect others. It's the few that don't live around here that I'd like to see less of.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
you see a few every now and then...... people that give the rest of us a bad name. i exceed the speed limit when i ride, though usually by not much. I will sometimes wind the turbo up...... but only when there is no other traffic around.
I was travelling to work a few weeks back..... i was doing around 105kph (about 63mph) when a guy on a Ducati passed me doing around 200kph!! he was near flying! There was a bit of highway traffic and he was overtaking on double lines and bends!! made the rest of us look like yahoos! it's a sad fact of life that people take more notice of the stupid behaviour than they do of the good behaviour.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ya know... I know...everybody knows....however...when some idiot passes me like I am parked....my right hand twitches and I really want to GO... but, I do not...maybe thats maturity..maybe..I used to just GO

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ya know... I know...everybody knows....however...when some idiot passes me like I am parked....my right hand twitches and I really want to GO... but, I do not...maybe thats maturity..maybe..I used to just GO
i have the same problem when a Harley tries to impress me :roll: i resist the urge...... well..... one time, my right hand had an involuntary convulsion :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
...My street can get filled with kids playing, riding motorized scooters (no helmet) but its a hill so they ride slow...
Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that nearly all children play in the street now? I don't condone doing 100 mph in a residential area, but I grew up being told not to play in the street. If someone told you to go play in the street, they were being facetious. When did the road become every parent's free babysitter? :confused:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
when i was a kid, my mom told me not to ride on the side walk and only ride my bicycle on the drive way.

A soon-to-be friend was riding his bicycle along the side walk so i went and rode on the side walk. Mom did not get upset.

I think we were told not to ride in the streets as the main two way street in our neighborhood suffered from the effects of rush hour traffic.

Hence, we started riding on (and in) the side streets where traffic was almost close to no traffic except for a few parked cars. :-o :p

We were doing our impersonation of Ponce and John from the TV show C.H.I.P.s A LOT. There was a steep hill that we LOVED to ride down with no brakes and make an immediate left turn onto another flat street.

One day, we got up enough speed pedaling and went down the hill to make the left turn. As luck would have it, there was an approaching car preparing to a stop as we were making our left turn. Talk about taking evasive on our part. I don't think the lady driving the car was too happy with us as we almost ran smack into her front end.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What bothers me today, timewise, is that some kids playing in the streets just look at you as if they owned the streets and are slow to get out of the way of moving vehicles.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that nearly all children play in the street now? I don't condone doing 100 mph in a residential area, but I grew up being told not to play in the street. If someone told you to go play in the street, they were being facetious. When did the road become every parent's free babysitter? :confused:
Gee I use to play in the street when I was growing up. Course times were different back then. People drove different and were different in their attitudes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No matter what the means of display, humans will at some point, no doubt express their immaturity and naivety.
Since we can not all attend the MSF course or teach at one, the best way to teach is by example. Do the right thing and whether you are even aware, you may be teaching an onlooker.
Teach by example. Even the youngest of the species is capable of learning in this way.
You may not be able to change the world, but you can affect the small part you occupy.
Mike

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Gee I use to play in the street when I was growing up. Course times were different back then. People drove different and were different in their attitudes.
I did too except the difference was I could see oncoming cars a quarter mile away in both directions :? There's no reason why kids should be playing in the street in a more urban setting especially if the street is busy. Haul your hockey net to the nearest side street or parking lot.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I did too except the difference was I could see oncoming cars a quarter mile away in both directions :? There's no reason why kids should be playing in the street in a more urban setting especially if the street is busy. Haul your hockey net to the nearest side street or parking lot.
Actually I agree with you 100%. Kids around me have big enough yards and driveways yet they put their basketball hoops and hockey nets out in the middle of the street and when you come down they look like you should of gone a different way. Barely move for you too. Now if a crotch rocket was barreling down the street they'd be mush. Don't know why parents today can't teach their kids common sense. Opps maybe they don't have it either.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I was out walking with my son this afternoon (trying to lower my blood pressure) when two morons went blowing past us on a busy residential road (speed limit 35) and they had to be doing 100+. In fact they went by so fast I couldn't even see what kind of bikes they were.(although neither were lime green) I kept hoping to see a cop in pursuit but no such luck. I calmy explained to my 16 year-old son that they were certainly not riding their scooters in an intelligent manner and he agreed that it wasn't too smart. He has indicated an interest in learning to ride so I needed to make sure he understood that their antics were foolish and the reason insurance rates are so high and why the death rate of young men on fast bikes is as high as it is. They were going so fast that if someone in a cage had pulled out in front of them, the laws of physics would dictate that there would be now way to stop in time and they would have become one with the cage faster than you could say: How do you like my new header? How do we squash this kind of mental midgetry???? Everyone likes to wind up their scooter occasionally, but think about the possible consequences. The MSF class only goes so far... Anybody got an answer, other than the death of these bozos??
Don't restrict your comments to your son about bikes, it is the same for cars. A moron parent buys their moron child a super fast car and then cries when he/she gets creamed in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if your son decides to ride and gets stupid take him to the emergency room and or local police station to/see hear about the consequences of being stupid from the people who deal with it all the time

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Forget it. Teach your son the best you can. You can't reason with stupid. I tried many times. Never worked never will.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
We lived on a quiet residential street. The road was our tennis court and hockey rink. We'd ride our bikes up and down it and we'd use a sharp downhill side street off it to race our bikes, wagons, skateboards as fast as gravity would carry us.

Now, the road doesn't dead-end anymore and high school kids race up and down it going to and back from school.

It was different back then.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think it sucks that a whole genre of bikers get a bad rap because of the actions of some. I'm sure there are many responsible sportsbike riders out there, but they are outnumbered by the crazies. Unfortunately, the responsible few suffer the negative press and high insurance rates caused by those same crazies.

Just my .02, coming from a loud pipe, noise law violating cruiser a$$hoe!:-D :-D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts