Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been running the FZR1000 for about 2kmiles now after a carb cleaning and setting the Idle and all changed plugs etc. I adusted the Idle and I though it was high 1500 but when it got warmer outside it would go right to 1000rpms which is the recommended.
It was colder today but only about 50deg. as aposed to 80deg. not freezing or anything, and it was hanging at 1700rpms consistently while stopped no rolling in neutral btw.
Is this normal. the engine temp was at 80 so that was normal. the throttle snaps back ok etc. Its not running bad just higher than ever before.
I did fuel up at a different station today, but like I said its not running like crap and it was definatly the right octane 93 not that that matters at Idle anyway(I filled with 87 and then emptied the tank a week ago and that had no effect).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I've been running the FZR1000 for about 2kmiles now after a carb cleaning and setting the Idle and all changed plugs etc. I adusted the Idle and I though it was high 1500 but when it got warmer outside it would go right to 1000rpms which is the recommended.
It was colder today but only about 50deg. as aposed to 80deg. not freezing or anything, and it was hanging at 1700rpms consistently while stopped no rolling in neutral btw.
Is this normal. the engine temp was at 80 so that was normal. the throttle snaps back ok etc. Its not running bad just higher than ever before.
I did fuel up at a different station today, but like I said its not running like crap and it was definatly the right octane 93 not that that matters at Idle anyway(I filled with 87 and then emptied the tank a week ago and that had no effect).
Sounds like you are running a little lean. Symptom includes hanging RPMs. Also, because the problem happens when its cold out makes sense. Air is more dense when it is cold out. Try richening your mixture a little.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Why did you clean the carbs after 2k miles? Did you reset the mixture screws exactly as they were before? If you didn't tighten the carb boots or a leak developed the bike would run lean and result increased rpms too. Temp aone shouldn't result in a major change in idle. Adjusted altitude (temp, altitude, humidity, etc) shouldn't result in a 700 rpm change for a stock engine on gas.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You mentioned that the carbs were off, so you must check that all cables, linkages, etc have absolutely no binds and that all butterflies/slides are resting at home with the throttle off, especially when cold. Then you must perform a carb sync. On multi-carb engines, if you give the carbs anything more that a menacing stare from 2 feet, they must be re-synced. Normally a bike will tend to idle slower when it is cold... all that thick oil, and such. If the specs call for 1000rpm, thats what it should be. If the high idle is being caused by a bind, it might stick when least expected and suprise the heck out of you. Do not rest until it is sorted out. It could be a safety issue. Keep at it and I know that you will find the problem. A vacuum leak between carbs and engine does not generally increase idle, but it will run bad.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cleaned the carbs when I bought the bike and it ran fine after that(wouldn't Idle at all.). I don't know if I missed something when I cleaned it, but every few tanks I used 5oz of berrymans or seafoam. I guess it cleared up something I missed bc I turn the idle set screw about 2turns out and it runs awesome now. Hole new bike.
Sorry for the wasted post and thanks for all the advise.

Have no Idea why it took 2k miles to fully clean up. But its cool now.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
still do a carb synch. it'll be a WHOLE new bike. like totally new. trust me, synching carbs makes A COLOSSAL difference in how it runs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its cool now.
I'll let you guys know if this changes. But I checked all the rubbers many times. Retightened them all after 1k miles. I'm sure that I just had the Idle set wrong and I'm just a hypocondriac.

I will report back after I've put more than 120miles after the adjustment.

Actually quite surprised at how well the bike was previously maintained and haven't noticed any typical issues associated with a bike of that vintage.

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts