Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 KZ 1000 P. I am having trouble with the idle circuit. Was looking for some detailed information on the carbs (Mikuni BS34).

The idle will run as high as 4000 rpm. Its intermittent and tends to agrevate getting off to a start smoothly. I have checked the basics on the carb, replaced carb boots nothing seems to make a difference.

Some people have suggested the enrichener plunger seals. Its weird when you start the bike it goes to 3000 rpm for two seconds and then idles at 1000 rpm.

I am beginiing to thing that there is something plugged up inside the carb. Anyone have any insight ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like the carbs are set very lean. On my '80 Suzuki GS1100E I have BS34SS constant-velocity(CV) diaphram carbs. These carbs are driven by vacuum to pull your main needle jet up and down. Have you checked to see if have a torn main needle diaphram by removing the top caps with four screw on your carbs? These carbs also have a fuel mixture screw closest to the engine on top of the carb, you can enrichen the fuel by turning the screw out(increasing fuel). The range can be either 1 5/8 turns out or 3 1/2 depending on your exact BS34 designation. My mixture screws are 3 1/2 turns out. The carbs came off another bike and I had to set mine at 3 1/2 to cure a hot, popping, cracking motor and burning oil smell and backfiring on deceleration. The original BS34SS carbs I replaced were set to 1 5/8.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you try cleaning them in Carb and parts dip?

Sorta sounds like mine when I first got it running after sleeping 3 years

Runs great now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idle mixture screws don't seem to make a difference. If I had to hazzard a guess, I am sourcing fuel from some other place. The bike runs great aside from the intermittent high idle. The choke/enrichener only seems to make a difference when its open all the way. Aside from tearing into the carbs completely I am out of ideas.

Derek.-

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like you will have to bite the bullet and tear them down and clean them

Short of that if you can take the air box off, start the bike and hit the intake side of the carbs with some cleaner. Get it in the small holes at the rear of the carbs. 1 is a vent for the diaphram ( large oval shape at top ) and of the 2 small round others 1 is the idle air intake circuit . spray the small round holes with someone working the throttle. this MIGHT work for ya.

But I still say tear'em down and dip clean them.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts