Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tweaked the bike last weekend, and have a question. What seems to be the problem that whenever you put the bike on its side stand the idle goes high? Then after picking and standing the bike upright, it returns to its original iding of about 1,500 rpms. Second think i misadjusted my air fuel mix screws cos it seems that the rpms take a while to come back to idle when i blip it at about 4,000rpms. And when Im shifting and twisting back the throttle to let the engine rpms down it seems it hangs on or seems taking a long time to return to low rpm to shift from first to second and third respectively. Any inputs guys? TIA

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Do you still have the airbox on it? What "tweaks" did you do? Was it doing this before the tweaks? When was the last time you lubed your throttle cables? Exactly what model and year bike are we fixing? When were the carbs cleaned last?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
You may have your throttle cables routed incorrectly, also.

Look for cracked boots from carbs to your airbox.

·
Registered
286 Posts
From the hanging RPM and high idle, I'd say its a lean issue. Either you have too much air or not enough fuel going through the carbs. Id say its probably too little fuel b/c tipping the bike would most likely only affect a fuel delivery. I wouldnt see how that would affect your air. Did you mess with the air/fuel screws. If so, just reset them all.

1)tighten the screws all the way in. (not too tight, just snug. you can ruin by tightening too tight)

2)back each screw out 2 to 2.5 turns

3)Start the bike and adjust if necessary. Lean condition--RPMs hang high, dont return to idle quickly. Rich--BOG down when given gas, spark plugs will be sooty or possibly wet.

4) If lean, screw each one out half turn.
If rich, screw each one in half turn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a zr 400 xanthus out here. Correct me if Im wrong but I think the engine came from the zxr 400. It was not behaving bad before the tweak. Just used it today for 36 km, it didnt die on me but It was not as smooth s before. What I did was leaning the air fuel screws by turning them in cos Ive got bad milaeage I thnk. Im only getting 18kms /liter I think it is supose to be 23-25kms/liter. Well I just adjusted it making it richer and it improved a little, will just try to adjust it slightly richer and see how it goes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
check your air filter to make sure it fits in nice a snug. When I checked mine, it had shrunk? over the years and was really loose, so there was no seal. That could cause you to need to run your pilots richer, leading to bad fuel economy. I'd do an entire tune-up

-valve clearance check
-spark plugs
-air filter
-oil change

Or just live with the fuel economy. Its better than a bike that doesnt run!

Good Luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check your air filter to make sure it fits in nice a snug. When I checked mine, it had shrunk? over the years and was really loose, so there was no seal. That could cause you to need to run your pilots richer, leading to bad fuel economy. I'd do an entire tune-up

-valve clearance check
-spark plugs
-air filter
-oil change

Or just live with the fuel economy. Its better than a bike that doesnt run!

Good Luck
OK Ill try to do that. Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Do you still have the airbox on it? What "tweaks" did you do? Was it doing this before the tweaks? When was the last time you lubed your throttle cables? Exactly what model and year bike are we fixing? When were the carbs cleaned last?
You may have your throttle cables routed incorrectly, also.

Look for cracked boots from carbs to your airbox.
+1. When you turn the handle bars to put it on the stand you're taking all the slack out of the throttle cable.

Your cable is out of adjustment or you've routed them through the bike the wrong way by accident.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike seems ok now, I turned the fuel mix screws out litlle by little everyday when Im using it, so you guys are right that Im on the lean side. No trouble with the bike now, took her for a ride and rev it a little high than my normal riding taking her at 8,000 rpm at third gear at 100 kms/hour. No stumbling, hesitations whatsoever, no backfiring in the exhaust and on the carbs. Idling is at 1,200, easy starting when hot or cold. Guess its ok for now and I didint do anything with the throttle cable route, whenever th bike is on its side stand it maintains its idling rpm now, so I think its not on the throttle cable routing. It was just an incorrect fuel mixscrews settings. So I guess problem solved! Very happy riding the bike, lookin forward to cleanig the carbs and fuel tank. Thanks guys!

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
You're welcome. I hope the mileage is improved a little. Keep posting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts