Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this none running bike for a couple of months. I replaced the wiring harness and cleaned up all the corrosion. My current task is the ignition. Only cylinders 1 and 4 will fire. I am on my 3rd igniter and still no fire on 2 and 3.
When I switch the key on I get voltage on the left side coil primary black and red wires. No voltage on the right side green and red wires. Going from the red wire to battery ground I get voltage. I have checked the green wire continuity to the igniter connector and it is good, no shorts or breaks.
And now the question.
I have the origial igniter and tried 2 replacements from a salvage yard with the same results. Is it possible that all three are bad or could it be something else?
Hoping to find some ideas here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMHO, not likely the ignitor box since you've tried 3 of them. In addition to the ignition coil, check the pick-up coils. Easy way to check the ignition coil is by switchind one for the other and see if you still get spark. The pick-up coils are a bit trickier, you'll need a manual and a voltage multimeter meter. I had one where the wire was broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ignition coils ohm out correctly and so do the pickup coils (405 ohms)
Yes I have a manual.
When I replaced the wiring harness the connector from the ig

niter to the pickup coils was missing, so I took the one from the old harness and soldered it in place. After looking at it again the wires were not properly seated in the connected according to the manual.
Black and blue is 1 and 4, yellow and red is 2 and 3. There is no red wire and no black on my pickup. One pickup has blue and black/white stripe and the other is yellow and black.
So according to the clymer manual I have a model 1100-A, but everything else says it is a B2.
I am totally lost.
If I knew what the wires were at the igniter for the cylinders then I could match the wires at the pickup connector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have a manual for that particular model bike however, on the Gpz and KZ models from around that same time period, the 4 wires from the pickup coils are , yellow goes to yellow/black, blue goes to yellow, black goes to blue, red/white goes to red/white. This is what a Haynes manual shows. Seems strange but that is what they show. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually. Mixing up the pickup coil wires to the ignitor wont ruin anything, but will prevent firing by getting the signals mixed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts