Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my 4wd. when I switch to 4wd nothing happens it just stays on 2wd not even the display shows the change. I took it to the dealer for them to inspect it after I could not find the problem. they told me the igniter was bad so they wanted to charge me almost $500 just to replace it. I decided to buy one used at ebay but when I installed it nothing happened. Do I need to reset something when I change it? or just swap them. I have replace it and the problem still is there I am thinking that the problem is just a false connection and the dealer just wanted to make some money with me. Any help will be really appreciated.:icon_frow

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no idea on what you replaced the igniter. If it was a newer ATV with the ECM, then the answer is yes, you have to follow the reset instructions in the repair manual. Swapping one without following the procedure will fry the rather expensive brain box, and almost always the master ignition controller and about half the time saturate and burn out the coil or coils, and the original dealer's quote will look like a bargain.

If it is an older unit that just relies on a simple control box of some kind and the igniter, then the answer is no as long as you disconnected the ground terminal from the battery before you began swapping. If you left the battery in line you likely burned out the new igniter.

Unless you have a means to test anything electronic purchased used from E-Bay. you may as well be playing Russian Roulette with all the chambers loaded! So, even if your ATV is one of the older obsolete units you probably just wasted your money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I have no idea on what you replaced the igniter. If it was a newer ATV with the ECM, then the answer is yes, you have to follow the reset instructions in the repair manual. Swapping one without following the procedure will fry the rather expensive brain box, and almost always the master ignition controller and about half the time saturate and burn out the coil or coils, and the original dealer's quote will look like a bargain.

If it is an older unit that just relies on a simple control box of some kind and the igniter, then the answer is no as long as you disconnected the ground terminal from the battery before you began swapping. If you left the battery in line you likely burned out the new igniter.

Unless you have a means to test anything electronic purchased used from E-Bay. you may as well be playing Russian Roulette with all the chambers loaded! So, even if your ATV is one of the older obsolete units you probably just wasted your money.
I replace it on a 2006 kawasaki brute. Do you know if the igniter controls the 4wd? my atv works perfect on everithing except the 4wd. i HAVE CHECKED everything I know and everything looks to be OK please let me know if you knowlage of this . thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts