Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dismounted my bike, I see the ignition coils are printed on the sign and''+''''-''

well:
the first coil is connected: yellow/red wire to symbol''+'' of the ignition coil, black wire to the symbol''-''.

the second ignition coil is the opposite, the yellow/red wire is attached to the sign''-'' on the coil, and the black wire to''+'' :shock: how can ?!!?!?

The bike walks (but sucks at idle) can be a problem this thing? :shock:

give me an explanation please!:smile:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I believe mine is "keyed" so that it can not be plugged in backwards? Might try swapping the wires and see if that helps? It does sound "funny". What kind of bike is it so maybe someone with more knowledge can help.

Brian

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe mine is "keyed" so that it can not be plugged in backwards? Might try swapping the wires and see if that helps? It does sound "funny". What kind of bike is it so maybe someone with more knowledge can help.

Brian
I ask because I will not do damage.
thanks! :smile:
is a GPZ 550 H1 m.y 1983 :wink:

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
No damage will result.
I don't believe there is even any measurable difference between plugging it in one way or the other.
This applies only to motorcycles with wasted spark ignition, not to anything with a distributor.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
As far as I know none of these style coils have grounded cores and there aren't any components inside the coil other than the primary and secondary windings. That being the case, it won't matter which side of the primary has the + or - wire attached to it, just like it doesn't matter which cylinder is connected to which side of the secondary.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Check the index then look under the section titled ignition system. It may be a ways in to the subject but the specs should be there.

P.S. I just notice that my "factory" service manual even mentions that the coils are marked with + and - terminals then goes on to say it doesn't mater which wire is connected to which terminal.

·
Lapa user
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the index then look under the section titled ignition system. It may be a ways in to the subject but the specs should be there.

P.S. I just notice that my "factory" service manual even mentions that the coils are marked with + and - terminals then goes on to say it doesn't mater which wire is connected to which terminal.
ok,i try it :redface:

for coils check i not found because my manual is a PDF file, and i don't have some parts :frown:

I have a tester to measure the resistance, but do not know WHAT resistance must be.

Thanks for your patience and help, buddy :redface:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Disconnect the input wires from the coil then set the meter to ohm x1 and measure across the + and - input terminals. I'm not sure what your coils will measure but it should probably be between 2-5 ohms. Next, set the meter to 1,000 ohm or 1K ohm. Now remove the plug wires from the coil and put one meter probe in each plug wire connection. The specs for a factory coil on mine is 10.4-15.6K ohm. Yours may be slightly different from mine so I can't tell you the exact range for yours.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Primary(small wire side) might be around 2.2 to 3 ohms measured with the ohmmeter set on X1 scale or the lowest you've got.

Any time analog multimeters(the kind with the multi scales and pointer/needle) are used and the scales are changed (X1,X10,X100 etc) the probes need to be touched together and the meter pointer be zeroed bt using the adjustment, otherwise the readings will be inaccurate.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Looking at my factory shop manual on my 82 GPz1100(same as the Kz1000 and Kz1100) the secondary resistance is 10.4 to 15.6 K Ohms, so if your coil measurment falls in this catagory, I'd say it's servicable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.