Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost the key to my 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500,well I bought a new switch plugged it in and I have no spark and the fuel pump will not turn on???Anyone out there know what to do to help??

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Was it an OEM switch from the Kawasaki dealer or third party?
If you take your old OEM switch to a locksmith, they can make a new key for you.

·
Registered
Vulcan 500, Honda Valkyrie, Suzuki V-Strom 1000
41 Posts
Your bike's original ignition switch was very likely equipped with a resistor on one of the wires that leads to the ECU. This lowers the voltage from full battery voltage down to somewhere in the 6-9 volt range (the way I understand it; I don't have a wiring diagram available to verify). If the ECU does not see the voltage at this lowered level, it will not activate the DFI relay. If the switch you bought is an aftermarket, it may not be equipped with the resistor (not all Vulcans use it, but the switch probably fits multiple models). If you do a Google search for Kawasaki Vulcan anti-theft resistor, you'll probably find posts and even videos that may show the resistor and explain it better than I did.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I totally agree with what Gator is saying. Adding to that, even if your Vulcan does not use the anti-theft resistor, aftermarket ignition switches are known to be troublesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts