Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
"It just will not run in both cylinders when I put the flywheel where it should be with the key in it."

Another idea!

Put the flywheel back where it should be; try to start, try different choke settings
and over-ride the governor by manually opening the carb butterfly.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"It just will not run in both cylinders when I put the flywheel where it should be with the key in it."

Another idea!

Put the flywheel back where it should be; try to start, try different choke settings
and over-ride the governor by manually opening the carb butterfly.
As I mentioned, it will run fine on one cylinder or the other by moving the flywheel, so it is not a carb issue

· Registered
88 Posts
It will run fine on one cylinder or the other by moving the flywheel so not carb or spark plugs
Well, you're the only one onsite, physically witnessing everything, so I have to respect your judgment and decision-making,
even if I disagree with your troubleshooting process. Sorry I was unable to solve your problem, and I hope
you will return after fixing and share with us the ultimate solution to this puzzle. Best of luck!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, you're the only one onsite, physically witnessing everything, so I have to respect your judgment and decision-making,
even if I disagree with your troubleshooting process. Sorry I was unable to solve your problem, and I hope
you will return after fixing and share with us the ultimate solution to this puzzle. Best of luck!
Thanks for trying! I will let you know if/when I find out what is wrong. I’ve worked on motorcycles my whole life (67 years old). This one is stumping me. Going to trouble shoot the wiring harness next. Maybe a short causing a miss-fire.

· Administrator
5,160 Posts
Remote troubleshooting can be difficult at the best of times. When you buy a non-runner, it is especially difficult for the owner and those trying to help remotely, because there is no history of the machine.

Since you are running out of options, I will ask one more time, has the valve timing been checked? The previous owner may have had it apart and messed it up.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Figure it out and let us know .... We obviously can't help ... Good luck ....
I wanted you to know what it was. I still don’t know how it happened. I ended up rewiring the coil wires on the wiring loom. I pulled the loom plug apart and switched the coil wires. Put the crank key back in and the flywheel where it should be. It runs perfect. It’s not easy to pull the wiring harness plug apart and why anyone would do that is beyond me!
Just glad it’s running right now. Thanks for all the help!!!

· Registered
88 Posts
Great news! We should have got it earlier though, maybe if we had put a timing light on it, you would've seen the wrong marks flashing. I guess @rv7charlie was right on in comment #3. And due credit to OP for taking the step to switch the wires, probably couldn't just swap the high tension leads for some reason... Anyway, happy ending, enjoy your UTV, cheers!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts